Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cat is inside only, always has been. He's 5 years old and has always been a very sweet friendly cat towards everyone including the vets. He was a model cat at the vet. Now, he's suddenly become skittish, antisocial, hissing, swiping and biting. We noticed he started hacking, gagging, coughing? He seems to want to retch, a few times it was clear liquid now nothing. Saturday he was in the ER for 9 hours. Vet said he's aggressive and had to sedate him twice. They did everything you could possibly imagine minus an ultrasound because the girl is on vacation for 3 weeks. X-ray showed the throat fine, lungs fine, heart fine, intestines fine. Only thing they noticed was in his lower spine he has arthritis. I took him home that night and he ate like I've never seen a cat eat. He ate two whole cans of wet food and 3 scoops of cat food in one sitting plus tub water. Next day, Sunday, he didn't eat or drink. Monday he ate only a little kibble no water. When he does eat kibble, as he's eating he hacks and food comes out then he heads back into the closet. The ER vet was frustrated because she said this is a very sick cat and he's in a lot of pain but the blood panels, x-rays show everything is perfectly fine and healthy but he's anything but. She's certain there's definitely something very wrong so she said the next thing we need to do is an ultrasound which I'm taking him elsewhere tomorrow.

Has anyone dealt with something like this before or have an idea what this could be? Thank you.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have not dealt with this and am sorry I cannot offer advice. But I wanted to write anyway just to say I feel so bad for you and for your cat, and I really hope you can find out what is going on and both of you can feel better soon.
I wish you the best of luck....

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi K. I'm sorry you and your cat are going through such a rough time. It's so upsetting when we can't figure out what's wrong with our pets. I'm not familiar with his specific symptoms, but it does sound like he's in pain, so it's a very good idea taking him in for an ultrasound, and hopefully it will tell you what the problem is. Let us know how he's doing.

Edit: Has he been checked for food allergies? Have you tried just wet food and no kibble? Do you have any plants, decorations, or other toxins he may have gotten into in your home. How are his teeth and gums?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about the arthritis in his lower spine?
Yes that's exactly what it turned out to be. They did every test you could think of, X-ray, ultrasound, blood work and everything was great! But what they did find was in his lower spine he has a degenerative disc that is causing his tremendous pain. She compared it to sciatic nerve which I've experienced before. One of the worst pains I've ever experienced. She gave him a steroid injection for immediate relief as a one time thing because she could clearly see he was in agony. He's doing so good now but I know it is only temporary. The vet recommended the asissi loop as well as prednisone and joint supplements. I'm not comfortable giving him prednisone so I'm going to start with the loop and supplements to see how that goes.

·
Registered
290 Posts
That's the same decision I would have made, as I also would not be comfortable with long term use of steroids. I had not heard of the asissi loop, and now am learning about that, which is valuable knowledge.

I hope it goes well for you and your cat, and would like to hear from you again to see how it goes. Thanks for letting us know what it is. If you can make a report back to us about how he fares on this regime, we can all learn from your experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts