Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My male cat Gabriel just ate one of those strings used to tie up presents. I was trying to grab him to pull it out of his mouth but he kept running away and swallowing more of it. Should I be concerned? I don't want him to suffer from this.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I'm not really experienced with cats but I would keep an eye on his eating and pooping to make sure nothing gets 'tied' up in there.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I'm not sure where you're located, but if it's currently Monday in your neck of the woods, I would give the vet a call and ask whether or not you should bring him in. If it's currently Sunday, then I would keep a close eye on Gabriel today and call the vet tomorrow. Call the vet (or EC) today if you see any negative signs, including vomiting, attempting to vomit, straining to poop, diarrhea, loss of appetite, lethargy or any behavioral changes. You can also try giving Gabriel some petroleum jelly (or hairball cream)...put it on his paws and have him lick it off. I hope nothing serious comes of his having eaten the string.

·
Banned
952 Posts
If he poops and you see the string coming out, DO NOT PULL IT! Call your vet.
Yeah, that!

Definitely watch for digestive upsets - vomiting, no pooping, loss of appetite - and lethargy and if you see any of them, bring him in to the vet and have them do an x-ray ASAP.

If the string causes problems, surgery can fix it - however, the sooner the problem is corrected, the better for your kitty.

How long was the string?

AC

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was pretty long I think. But there have been no problems so far... knock on wood. But Gabriel has been eating normally and acting normally too.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Once my cat ate a needle attached to thread. We didn't even know until it was out the other end! Wow were we ever lucky. I think the longer the string the more dangerous it is, if it was pretty long I would be concerned. Keep an eye on your cat to make sure they aren't acting strange, and if they are take them to the vet ASAP! If they start pooping it out, I'll echo everyone else in saying do not pull it out! Instead I'd suggest cutting it every time you see some... or going to the vet.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Once my cat ate a needle attached to thread. We didn't even know until it was out the other end! Wow were we ever lucky. I think the longer the string the more dangerous it is, if it was pretty long I would be concerned. Keep an eye on your cat to make sure they aren't acting strange, and if they are take them to the vet ASAP! If they start pooping it out, I'll echo everyone else in saying do not pull it out! Instead I'd suggest cutting it every time you see some... or going to the vet.
A needle?! Holy momma! I'm glad your kitties ok!

·
Registered
42 Posts
keep an eye on the cat. You might even want to just take the cat in so the vet can look down its throat and make sure the string didnt get caught in the throat. I had an unfortunate experience with cats and strings. My old cat, was about 6 or 7 at the time had eaten some thread. She was a hiding cat so she often slept under the bed for hours. Turns out the string got lodged around her tongue and she stopped eating. It took a while for her to start looking ill. cats seem to hide illness well, she always was a hider cat so she didnt seem to be acting any different. After a week or two she lost a couple pounds. We took her to the vet. It was too late. Her kidneys failed from her not eating for so long and not drinking.

Not to say that this will be happening to your cat and the chances of this are probably really rare. But definately keep an eye out for the string. MY cats have eaten ribbon before and within a few days it "passed" and was in the box with the bowels. Just keep an eye on eating and drinking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My little Aria ate an entire shoelace a couple of months ago, with the plastic bits on the end and everything. Very big, fat shoelaces. We had left a few hanging around the house attached to things for her to play with and obviously she managed to get one off and decided to chow down!

She became incredibly lethargic, wouldn't eat or drink, wouldn't (or rather, couldn't) use the bathroom. We took her to the vet and they ended up doing x-rays because we didn't know what had happened, and they didn't show up on the x-ray! The vet decided to give her an enema as a precaution to see if it helped her pass anything and sure enough, out came a shoelace!

You'd be amazed what a cat can manage to pass through their system though. I think the shoelace was just a little bit TOO thick for Aria to pass on her own, but a thin string may just go right through! Keep an eye out for those symptoms.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the string is dissolved by now... hopefully. Gabe has shown no problems and is still eating/drinking/bathrooming the same... thank god! But I took away all the present strings for good.

Sorry to hear about other's misfortunes with cats eating things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts