Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ten-year old neighbor who simply loves my cat. But the sad truth is...he doesn't love her back.
As far as I know, she has never done anything traumatic to my kitty, and she likes to pet him. She has fed him several times, and he eats from her hand, but as soon as the food's gone, he starts hating her again!
How does he manifest his "hate"?
Well, my cat is quite a boxer and that's exactly what he does: punch. He rarely scratches, but hits people with his claws inside of his paws. He sometimes also bites.
My cat likes all the other people I've brought to my house, women, men, and a baby or two (although he's kind of scared of the babies).
Can someone explain?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hiya
If your cat is hitting things with his paws and keeping his claws in it's usually a sign of playing.
What's his body language like when your neighbour is around? A kitty that is scared and aggressive will arch it's back, flatten it's ears, hiss, growl and the fur on the back of his back and tail will puff right up. If all he is doing is staying low to the ground, pouncing, and 'boxing' then there is nothing worng. He's just playing.
If it is aggression then there may be other reasons why he doesn't like your neighbour. Are you 100% sure she han't done anything to upset kitty? Even something like picking him up when he doesn't want to be will upset him and make him want to stay away. She might think this is nothing bad but to the cat it might be.
It's very odd to hear he will take food from her hand because usually cats will stay away from people they don't like unless they are starving (which I'm assuming he's not). So maybe it's a smell thing. Does she have cats? Maybe he smells other cats or animals on her he doesn't like.
Your cat maybe a little wary of babies for 2 reasons. One, small babies can be seen by a cat as a new addition invading it's territory. And 2, the cat may be reacting to how people react to the cat being near the baby. Some people get very tense or observant when an animal is near a baby (which is completely understandable) and the cat can pick up on this tense atmosphere and get a little frightened.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just saw that you said your neigbour is only 10 years old.
This may be another reason the cat doesn't like her. Children can sometimes be unrelenting in their pursuit of a tickle of the cute cat and annoy your little guy so that he remembers her the next time. A treat might distract him until she wants to stroke him yet again. Then he's off again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts