Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?:
My cat had kittens a while back, they are about 2 1/2 months old now, I have gotten rid of all but 1, because we are keeping this one. Mom cat was a stray and we took her in when we moved, since we had been taking care of her. Today her kitten got her shots. Since we have brought her home her mom has been attacking her. Arching her back and hissing at her. She has actually attacked her once, and they were not playing. I do not know why this is happening. I thought maybe its because my kitten was in a cat carrier today that once had another cat in it, and she might smell like that, but I just don't get it. Could there be something wrong with mom? Like a disease or is this normal to get her to be independent? Please help me!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I have heard that a cat will pick up the scent of other cats when you take them to the vet. So it sounds like your mother cat is smelling the scent of another cat on the kitten and that is what is making her act up.

What you need to do is go through somewhat of a new cat introduction process by gradually bringing them back together. Also try the vanilla trick of rubbing a dab of vanilla extract on the back of each cat's neck which will make them both smell the same. Take a towel or blanket that the kitten sleeps on and rub it all over the mother cat. She just needs to get desensitized to the other cat's scent to accept her again.

Sorry you and the kitten have to go through this but it's a cat's nature and everything has to do with their sense of smell.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts