Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've had my cat for a year now, and I've trimmed his nails several times, but recently, it's been quite difficult. When I first got him, I took him to a groomers to have him bathed and have his claws trimmed, this was during the peak of COVID, so it was really difficult finding a groomer that were taking new clients. (I'm still struggling to find one). He started going to the groomer, and coming back all cleaned up, but they would take a REALLY REALLY long time, I'd end up having to leave him there all day, say from 12pm to 8pm, or 10am to 6pm. This was worrying for me, but I was stupid and brushed it off because he came back all bathed, and I had to have bathed and claws trimmed because he's an outdoor cat (he was before we took him in as well). I made the stupid decision to let him continue going there, until they stupidly decided to shave my cat, (which is another story), but that made me stop going there because I never asked them to shave him, only bath and claw trim like I had been doing for the past 10 months. Anyway... I had stopped going there, but I feel like his behavior while being handled, like trimming his nails, giving him medicine, and giving him a bath, has worsened since he went to that groomer, it wasn't so bad in the beginning, but it got worse over time. I hat to take him to the vet one time for a checkup, and he freaked out so bad in the carrier, he would thrash around and yowl at everyone, and would only calm down once i opened the carrier in the car. When I thought about it later on, I think it had to do with the fact that the groomers kept him in the carrier while they went through other clients. I was so stupid not to think about that, and it's only hurt him. That's only one of the things that's changed about his behavior. I give him fleas prevention every month, and he seems more jumpier than usual. He'll try his best to force his way out of my arms THE ENTIRE TIME, when in the past, he'd give in a few seconds later, and let me do what I need to do. ALSO, since he hasn't been to the groomers for a while, I trimmed him nails the other day and it was a NIGHTMARE. In the past whenever I trimmed his nails, he would struggle, but eventually calm down, then struggle some more, trying to outsmart me and get away, and then give in again, he wasn't aggressive at all. This time when I tried to cut his claws, I held him in arms and tried swaddling him, but he pushed his legs out as far as possible to push me away to get away from him. And then when I calmed him down and started to trim his claws, he lashed out at me, bit my hand and ran off. Luckily, I managed to trim them later on, and that required a shawl on my lap so his back claws wouldn't scratch me, but I held him in the regular position, facing forward and holding his paw and trimmed them quickly, but I got a lot of angry yowls and bite attempts. He never used to be this aggressive with me when I tried to cut his claws, it seems to have gotten worse since he went to those groomers. I don't know what to do... I''m scared of taking him to any other groomer again, I sort of want to do his things myself and earn his trust, and associate his nail trimming, bathing, and fleas prevention medicine with good things, and not things that will scare him... Can someone give me advice on what I should do. It hasn't been that long since I've gotten him, and I want to take care of him the best I can, and I want him to be happy, but his health is important too. I feel terrible for taking him to that groomer, there were majority dogs there, and they always seemed to do my baby's things last... he's also terrified of loud noises and they shaved him, that must've added on to the stress and trauma....

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
You definitely have to start from scratch again. He doesn’t trust you. You have to stop bring him to the groomers. No more groomers. You should be able to do everything at home. I need some clarification. Is he now an inside only cat. It’s safer that way. You need to start with touching his feet exercise and then give him a treat. Eventually work your way up to cutting his nails. I’m able to cut my girls toenails without picking her up. She lays down for me.

Reactions: Maya711 and LeChi

·
Registered
290 Posts
I never have bathed a cat in my life unless they had fleas or some other reason it was medically needed. Cats in general do not need to be bathed or groomed, because they do that themselves. So I wonder why you feel it is important to groom this cat, beyond brushing? Being an outdoor cat doesn't change this...they still groom themselves.
And they almost always hate like crazy to be bathed.

As for the nail trim, I have a cat who absolutely would not permit it, and it took one person to hold him still while I trimmed the nails. I decided this would not do, so I stopped doing that. Cats hate to be held so they cannot move and so it was traumatizing him each time.

What I started doing is every time he would come to sit near or on me, I would pet him and talk to him and then take one paw gently in my hand and push out one nail, and then let go of the paw, and pet some more. After about a month of this he completely trusted me to push out one nail, and I started keeping a very sharp nail clipper right next to where I usually sat, and when he came to sit with me I would trim ONE nail. then, maybe later in the day or the next day, one more.

If he showed me that he didn't want any nails trimmed, I didn't do it then and tried again later.

I did this for about another month, or so and ever since if he is sitting on or near me I can pick up a paw and do all the nails on one paw. Maybe the next day I do another paw. They all get trimmed this way and my cat doesn't mind one bit. After all, they don't all have to be done on the same day. Sometimes he says no, and I never push it, but we always get it done eventually.

You need to rebuild trust with this cat, just as I had to with mine. Who knows how long it will take, but if you go about it slowly you can most likely do it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree with Icordaro and Mosi. Take it easy on him, don’t force, and make it as rewarding as possible. Touch paw, soothing voice, quick treat, that’s it. Eventually you can work your way up to trimming one claw, then two, etc.
My pets have all been different in what positions they are comfortable having their claws trimmed. One dog would let me lay her on her side, one dog wanted to be standing up (horseshoe style?) and both my cats allow me to do it when they are groggy and napping. I do two paws at a time and come back later or the next day for the other two. They are like people, each has their own preference how they will be most comfortable.
If you check on youtube there is a lot of good instruction and different ways to trim kitty claws. You might find one that’s right for you.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Hello Maya711
Don’t be hard on yourself. Everyday I still learn from others on this forum. You will do just fine with your little one. Have a great day

Reactions: Maya711

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trimming your cat's nails is a vital component of grooming and caring for him. To climb or scratch, cats require good nails. You should cut your cat's nails on a regular basis to prevent them from becoming long, curved, and razor-sharp. They may injure themselves, other pets, or your furnishings if their nails become too long.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Trimming your cat's nails is a vital component of grooming and caring for him. To climb or scratch, cats require good nails. You should cut your cat's nails on a regular basis to prevent them from becoming long, curved, and razor-sharp. They may injure themselves, other pets, or your furnishings if their nails become too long.
I am pretty sure the OP already knows this, David.

That is why they are seeking good advice on how to do it with their cat who doesn't like the process.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts