Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 month old fixed male is really starting to irritate me at night. I love him otherwise but at night it seems like he loves Making me mad. I can’t let him roam free because he likes to jump on things and knock things over. When he’s in my room with his litter box, food and toys he still likes to reek havoc. He knocks over his water dish, climbs on surfaces that he shouldn’t be and won’t stop crying. His sister who is a year and a half doesn’t have a this problem. I don’t know what to do anymore. Please help!

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Hmm.....the "terrible teens" as I call this stage (usually from 9 mos. to 2yrs with some cats). My "Fitty Pisky" took that long being a real brat, doing much of what your cat is doing, as well as attacking my older cat. Fitty still occasionaly bites "Zuba" out of the blue just to be a bully. At least now he stops when I say "no biting" to him and most of the time they are good snuggle bugs together. Suggest you separate him in another room from his sister and yourself at night, so at least you can get a good night's sleep. Use a wand toy with feathers on the end of it to give him some vigorous workouts at night before you got to bed, and at other times of the day, and get some toys that he can play with such as ping pong balls to bat around---some like to do it in a bath tub. Puzzle toys to find the treats inside. Don't put out all the toys together but switch them around to keep his interest. A cat tree near a window is always of interest to cats, especially if it looks out on a lawn/trees/sidewalk where he can see birds/squirrels/dogs being walked, etc. This is a phase that will peter out as he ages, some are finished by 1 or 1-1/2 yrs. before they settle down. Try to keep things put away that he can't knock down, that sort of thing. A cat stroller to take him out for "walkies" is good if you have some quiet streets, but not heavy traffic with buses/trucks. Some cats enjoy walking on a leash.....tho they mostly like to lead where they're going. Hope these suggestions will help you and your boy to get his pent up energy spent. All the best!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts