Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always knew there was a reason why I didn't like bathing the cats. My dear husband was just reminded of that. It's a pretty good bite. It broke skin and he bled just a bit. Our cat Sebastian bit the underside of his wrist while he was being bathed. It's pretty swollen and he'll be seeing the doctor first thing tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone had any experiences like this. It looks like such a small wound but his wrist is the size of a balloon and very tender. Our cats are healthy and get all their shots.

Arianne

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about this. It's a shame your husband couldn't see a doctor sooner. I assume there is an infection. I have not met anyone who has gone through this, but my son got cat scratch fever once. That is not as severe, as far as I know. I hope all goes well. Perhaps a visit to the ER would be in order.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
If you're cat goes outside you can never know what its been eating/had in its mouth, not to mention that they clean themselves everywhere too! its amazing how much even a cat scratch can hurt and swell up.
all the best

·
Registered
51 Posts
tell your husband to bite him back. eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth!!! :D

anyway, why are you bathing the cat? and what's the correct way to do it?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Even if your cat is perfectly healthy, cats have a lot of bacteria in their mouths and this is probably why his wrist swelled. It's a very sensitive area as well. I would definitely soak it in a hydrogen peroxide/warm water solution until the fizzing dies down -- this should help to get out some bacteria that you can't get out easily with soap and water. Make sure you care for it well before getting into the doctor -- Neosporin and a gauze bandage.

Jeanne -- I had no idea that a person could actually *get* cat scratch fever -- I thought it was just a song! Your poor little guy.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
His lymph nodes swelled after our Creampuff ( the creampuff) scratched him. She was a cat who loved to be petted and then would strike out suddenly. The doctor diagnosed it as cat scratch fever. I have been scratched accidentally-probably a hundred times- AND by Creampuff and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE!

Well, last night we ended up going to the ER because one of the veins from his wrist to his elbow turned bright red. I panicked an off we went!

Apparently it was infected pretty badly despite the multiple washes with hydrogen peroxide. The infection was spreading up his arm. He got a shot of antibiotics and a tetanus shot in the bum! He has antibiotics to take for the next two weeks.

Sebastian is very sad he hurt his dad. We feel like he looks a little down in the dumps. Poor guys!

Thanks for you replies! :wink:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Madi, I hope he is back to normal soon!! :wink:

I remember when I was little we lived in the country and my dad would let us "keep" some of the stray animals that would show up once in a while, until they decided to wander off. There was this young kitty that stayed for a long time until my smart self decided to pick her up and put her in the wading pool with me. She bit my hand, and there I was a few days later with cat scratch fever. The lymph node under my arm was swollen and had to be drained and I was miserable!!! The same thing happened to my little sister not too long after (different cat) and she actually had to have hers (on her elbow) removed, because it was very swollen. Needless to say we didnt pick up the strays anymore after that. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Injury/cat bathing

He just needs to continually take care of it until it heals. I've received a cat scratch from bathing too. It did swell up some but I immediately put hydrogen peroxide on the scratches.
I don't usually give my cat too many baths because she cleans herself. O I started giving Pookey a bath when she was a kitten so that may be a small advantage. She still hates it but won't spaz out.
I usually give her a bath in the kitchen sink. I dip her in the water, take her out, soap up, and last rinse her out in the bath water. I never turn the faucet on in front of her cause it really spooks her. It is easier when you have two people.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Chinisimo :

"tell your husband to bite him back. eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth!!! "

My husband did. Dunga was biting him and he bit her back (on her leg). It was realy funny! He did it for fun.

:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts