Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a new adopted stray cat that is less than a year old. Super friendly and gets along with rest of the family two other cats and a golden retriever. A few times the new cat will climb on our golden retriever and bite into his fur and hang on tight. Almost like a vampire! Our golden is too passive and tolerates this. What is the cat doing? It does not seem friendly or playful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most probably, your cat is just playing with your dog. You can see a lot of videos online with the cats biting dogs. That's their own way of communication.
If your cat were scared of your dog, it would be hiding and avoiding him. In the worst-case would scratch him. So, if your cat is only bitting, there's nothing to worry about. Cats always show their dominance like that.
Oh, you are pretty lucky that your dog is passive. My dog often has sudden bursts of energy, and I don't really know how to deal with that anymore. When it was smaller, doctors said that it will pass once he grows up. Guess what? He is 3 years old and still has those crazy bursts of hyperactivity.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Oh, you are pretty lucky that your dog is passive. My dog often has sudden bursts of energy, and I don't really know how to deal with that anymore. When it was smaller, doctors said that it will pass once he grows up. Guess what? He is 3 years old and still has those crazy bursts of hyperactivity.
Not going to say more here, not wanting to take this thread off topic, but if you have a high energy dog he may need more exercises. Also, mental exercise is just as important....puzzle games, playing with him, training him, etc. can help to
use up the excess energy. :)

To 3catnow: I suspect your cat is playing. Cats can look awfully fierce when they are playing. Unless the dog is in danger of getting hurt, or else the dog gets fed up and might harm the cat, I'd leave it alone. I once had a cat and dog who played every day, and the dog put the cat's whole head into his mouth harmlessly. the cat would jump on the dog's back and hang on. They both loved it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
3cat, as long as there's no blood and your dog doesn't bite hard back, I'd say you're good. But do keep an eye on them and redirect them with a toy if it escalates into growling or hissing.

DC, both cats and dogs get the zoomies and 3 years is still young for a pup. It usually means they have excess energy they need to burn off. I see several more play sessions a day in your future!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts