Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat has an eccentric behavior of sitting in a corner (usually the same corner for months on end)...but my main concern is that where she has her face jammed into the corner, right be her nose and mouth, the wall or tile of whatever corner she is in becomes sooty black, like the soot you see in oil lamp chimneys...it even has the pattern of a circle on either side, almost as if you can trace her breath! She is fluffy white and she shows no signs of black fur (although she does have that scabby-cat syndrome)....I told my vet, and she said, "I never have heard anything like this before!"....so I just end up cleaning the walls over and over...and it is thick and oily...just like candle soot. any comments

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Of course I've not seen what you are seeing, so this may be all wrong...

It may be body oil from her fur brushing up against (or resting against) the white of the wall corner. I've seen black marks develop on the corner of my kitchen cabinet where my cat would rub against it when I'm in the kitchen. I think the cat face is particularly strong in body oils. Notice how they rub against us - one cheek, then the other, leaving a scent mark.

If I'm right, then this is nothing to worry about. But why is she in the corner? That would puzzle me! :D

·
Super Moderator
26,395 Posts
Thanks for my morning laugh, eldercat!!!! :):)

I have nothing to add about the stain except what was already said. Cinderella would leave marks from her face on doorways, doors, etc.. But, to help make your life a little easier, I would suggest cleaning the stains with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. You may already be using it. It removed hair dye stains from my bathroom countertop that a (BAD) guest left behind, and I had tried so many other products. Sorry to sound like a commercial, just throwing that out there to help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input....(and yes, Magic Eraser works great!)....this particular problem is a little unlike the body oil...she also leaves that on the leg of my cough where she face rubs...and I agree that the corner behavior is odd....she just started this about 6-7 months ago....literally picking a corner and seemingly trying to jam her head into it as far as it would go...took her twice to vet, and all tests came back perfectly normal.....now this month (December) she has left her corner and is living in her litter box...I mean, literally 24 hours a day. I coax her out for food but she gobbles and races back to the litter box where she sits 24/7...and occasionally she vocalizes loudly like she wants food...I wave her dish in front of her..she strains toward but won't eat until I sit the dish in her litter box....I have never had a cat like her in my life.. She purrs and seems perfectly content...maybe she is just a weird cat!......I really can't list this as a problem since she is healthy, normal, and seems content....it just puzzle me so much.....thanks again for your comments

·
Registered
127 Posts
This is all truly strange. Can't imagine what would cause sooty breath. Is there any odor to her breath?

As far as the hiding goes, maybe she's got some insecurities and being confined makes her feel safer. Did anything unusual or threatening (to a cat) happen before she started hanging out in her corner? Have you tried offering her a box she'll fit into . . . just to see if she'll use that instead of the litter box?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no odor at all...I even smelled it as I cleaned it off the walls/tiles (just being a scientist!).....and as far as insecurities...not a single thing, unless it is a ghost or something not visible to me...she is one of the most pampered cats...I even hand feed her sometimes, just because she seemed comfortable on her pillow, and I did not want her to have to walk to the kitchen to eat (I know...!!).......and yes I leave boxes open all around just in case....I was talking to a friend, and I said, Maybe I should just accept she is a certified eccentric and leave it at that....but that sooty breath is a mystery...I feel like I should go on Coast-to-Coast radio show or one of those paranormal sites!...but she seems happy as a clam, so I am really not freaking out,,,just baffled.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Could you post a picture of what the marks on the wall look like. Also how old is the cat and has this behavior just started or been around her entire life. The corner wall stuff does sound like body oil but can’t say for sure. If she’s an older cat I wonder if she had a slight stroke that’s causing that behavior. We had a dog once that had that happen and she would go and stand in a corner but she seemed a little confused at times also. Maybe you need to write a letter to the cat whisperer or whatever they call the cat guy with the guitar case! Glad that she at least seems happy and content. Most cats don’t want their food where their litter is though. Good luck and let us know if you figure anything out.

·
Registered
191 Posts
This is serious, a simple online search indicates excessive head pressing is a possible neurological problem, the sitting in the litter box is a red flag.

PLEASE take your cat to a vet asap

1 - 9 of 9 Posts