Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone. casper is doing great. he is going for his first pre-neutering vet check on thursday. i have decided to take him to a cat clinic in nyack, ny, not far from where i live. i am excited to get an exact weight on him. i am pretty sure he is about 7 pounds now and 4.5 months old! is that large? i want to buy him a new carrier, but was wondering what types people advise? a lighter carrier would be nice, but i do not know how big he is going to get. i have looked at the bergan and sherpa brands. so i am looking for input on what size/brand carrier to buy? thanks!

· Registered
594 Posts
If your kitty is skittish, you may want to make sure to get one where the top can be removed for visits to the vet. That way, you don't have to worry about pulling him out, the vet can lift off the top and do the exam while he sits in the bottom part. Works for my Lickorish who is a very scared kitty around strangers and vets. Also, I would go with a size that would fit the largest size you think he could grow to, then you don't have to get another carrier when he outgrows a small one.

We have a sherpa one (Petmate) for Squeek, it has a front zip door and windows with shades and she comes out the door on her own at the vet. It wasn't actually sold as a carrier but as a portable shelter for pets, but it has a handle on top and works fine as a car carrier, although it would be too large to take on a plane and not suitable for checking in as animal cargo as it is soft sided. We leave it out and open in the house and the kitties like sleeping in it sometimes.

· Banned
602 Posts
I have a soft sided carrier that I got before I went to pick up Mia. It has a front zippered door and a top zppered door and windows on the sides for breathing as well as both doors. I got one that would fit an adult cat and just put a couple of old towels inside to make it more comfortable for her and also soak up any pee or vomit from the trip (60 miles). I have always left it out in my bedroom with the front door open so she can go in and out. She is so used to it she never complains when I have to put her in it.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the advice. i think i'm going to go with the sherpa one. his visit to the vet went great. he was cooperative and friendly enough to the vet. not skittish at all. he'll be neutered next week and the vet does think he is a bit large, but not overweight at all, just a bigger kitty. she estimates he'll be closer to 12+ pounds instead of the "usual" 10 pounds.

· Registered
98 Posts
I work at a vet. Please please please, don't bring kitty in a soft-sided carrier. It is extremely difficult to get cats out of those carriers without having to stick our hands inside (if the cat is nervous and won't come out on their own). I recommend the carriers mentioned above that are hard-sided and the top can be taken off. MUCH simpler.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for your advice. I still have not decided on a carrier. He is not skittish at all though, and does not scratch (I also am very good about clipping his nails.) He is extremely mild tempered, but I will look for a carrier that will open from up top just in case.

· Registered
1,138 Posts
The sherpa carrriers I got at Petco also open from the top. I like them because they
have secure bottoms and they are comfortable for the cat. They are easy to secure into the car seat belt.

If you get a hard one, make sure the way it closes is secure. I first tried a couple plastic ones (& they don't make em like they used to...) It closed by sliding tabs. I didn't realize that a couple of the tabs weren't really locked. The bottom fell out the first time I used it I had to chase down a terrified Lily.

· Registered
1,513 Posts
I use the hard ones. You can loop a seatbelt in the top for more security. The one I have is in two halves that are snapped together so you can always take off the top half if needed.

Yes, it's heavier than a soft one, but there will be at least some measure of protection with a hard carrier. Like if someone walks by with another hard carrier and bumps into you.

Something similar to this:

· Registered
414 Posts
I know this post is a month old but I thought I would add my question to it. I need a carrier to take Ollie for his neuter and was looking at the pet taxi similar to the picture above, in the 24" size, with the top door. Is that too big? He is already 8.25 lbs at not quite 6 mos old. We're also moving in a year, it will be a 5 hour drive. Will we need separate carriers for Miley and Ollie or could they ride in one? They are littermates, and very attached. I think they might be happier riding together than in separate crates. They hate car rides as it is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.