Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many cats do you have and do you have a carrier for each cat?

We have 3 carriers.. One large one for Stache or Simba . one medium size one and one small/medium one.

Someone on facebook is selling a carrier that seemed a bit larger then two that I have.

so I asked mom if we could get it...and she said no..we have 3. :( I said it wouldn't hurt to have an extra one in the house. (we have 7 cats)... she still said no.

I really think we should get that extra carrier..i mean...what happens if we had to leave in an emergency and all of the cats had to be wrangled up. 3 carriers and 7 cats would be hard. 4 would be a little easier..

we only use the carriers for vet trips. its not like they are out in open taking up space. they are put away in the basement.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I have 4 carriers (2 small, 1 medium, and 1 large-ish), but if I'm honest I should buy at least one more.

I see it this way; in the event of an emergency where I needed to move all my animals could I do so safely?

-I have 4 cats, Torri and Jitzu each need personal space, they would get the smaller individual kennels. Doran and Muffin can safely travel together (and seem to prefer it), so they'd get the medium sized one.

-Then I'd be stuffing all 3 of my giunea pigs into the bigger kennel. That doesn't seem like a big deal, but they definitely need more room and it's much harder to find safe confinement for piggies than for cats - so in an emergency they'd likely be stuck in the kennel far longer than the cats would.

-On top of that I have zero plans for how I'd evacuate the toads, and the geckos would get stuck in ziplock containers with holes hastily poked in the lids...

I am completely willing to admit my 'plan' is far from flawless. However, day-to-day the number of kennels we have serves us well. *shrugs*

Overall, I feel like you should have the minimum number of kennels required to transport all your pets in the event of an emergency; if not in full comfort then at least in some sort of safe and managable way. For example, I would NEVER kennel Jitzu or Torri with the boys - not safe. So, if you have compatible kitties who CAN share space make sure you have large enough kennels that they can do so without too much over crowding.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
We had fires here recently and I panicked because I only had one carrier for 2 cats that would not do well together in a carrier. I ran out and got one new and returned it when I didn't use it. I bought another one I liked better for cheaper after. I feel better knowing I have one for each but 7 cats...... One more would be nice.

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
I have one for each cat in case we have to evacuate. I have a few extras from the shelter in the attic too...just in case I have to mass transport anyone one.

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
I've slowly worked at getting enough for Everyone!
Which I now have...
I have a combination of soft and hard carriers, which will be fine for my "crew"!!
Mine are kept very handy, in the garage.

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
You can usually find them pretty cheap at thrift stores - most of mine were under $10. Take them apart and store them out of the way (just don't lose the fasteners). I would never have less than one for each cat I have because you never know when a catastrophe can happen. Hurricane? Flooding? Fire? Smoke from a neighbor's fire? You just never know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have two cats and two carriers. the cats will fight if they have to be in the same one, especially during a trip to the vets. But they do like to be able to see each other so I have made sure they have lots of viewing holes in them.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
We have 2 and 2 cats plus a travel kennel in case we ever had to leave our home and stay somewhere or travel a long way so we have an extra accomodation / travel option.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Three cats, 2 carriers.

One of the carriers can easily take two, probably all three! (it's huge lol), but my oldest cat would spit herself into a frenzy if I had her confined with the other two in that carrier. It is really more for travel, so they aren't cramped up. They can stand and stretch, which is nice, however, we and the kitties don't do road trips, except to the vets.

I have a regular size carrier. This is the carrier I use for vet visits (thats the only place they go! lol)

But, in an emergency, I can easily put Sadie & Belle (very bonded pair) in the bigger one, and maintain my B.B.'s sanity and put her in the single cat model LOL.

·
Registered
566 Posts
One cat-4 carriers. But Casey goes in the larger one, the rabbit and ferret have their own and there medium sized. We have an extra for any fosters. Living in tornado ally we have to have a plan. If there is a tornado producing storm near all animals are put in carriers except the dogs. I make sure leashes are by the door(have a cellar so have to go outside to get to the "basement"). I want to get Casey a larger soft crate. She is weird and acts like a dog haha. She LOVES her carrier and I can find her sleeping in it a lot. So I want to get a larger soft crate so it's more comfortable.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
We don't really plan for emergencies ... aside from an earthquake that may or may not happen in the next several thousand years and slowly rising water threats, we don't seem to have many issues. However, we have one larger kennel (could fit one of our ~20lb dogs well), and two small homemade cat carriers...made out of wood. We've never bothered to buy a plastic kennel for the cats. We used to have a large kennel (for a 30+ lb dog) but we donated it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have three. One is probably meant for a small dog. It's big enough that the cats could probably stand up if they kept their heads bowed. I use it for the vet visits, but I also use it as a chill out chamber when two of my cats are fighting and the aggressor needs to mellow out for a few.

I also have two smaller ones that are just big enough to fit the cats if they lie down. I don't use these for the vet unless I have to bring more than one in at a time, but my cats seem to really like them. I leave a small and a large carrier out with the door open at home, and there's almost always a cat in at least one of them taking a nap.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have three cats and one big carrier for my big cat and two smaller carriers for the two other cats. They would not do well together in a carrier.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I also have 7 cats (6, plus a foster), and I know that we don't have as many carriers as we would need in an emergency. We have 2 actual carriers, one soft and one hard, neither of which would fit more than one cat. We do, however, also have a soft-sided "crate" for people travelling or camping with their dogs, which is larger, very portable, and could easily fit a couple cats. Additionally, I have 2 medium sized dog crates, which I use for socializing, and 3 feral cat traps; so, in a pinch, I would be able to safely transport all of the cats at once.

I'm always on the look out for crates and carriers at garage sales or thrift stores because they come in really handy for my rescue work, but my parents would kill me if I stored all of that stuff in the garage, so some of it lives at the Feral Cat Recovery Centre and some of it gets leant out to colony caretakers or people who foster for me.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have 4 cats and 2 carriers. One soft one and one hard one.

I plan to get a third one though just in case I ever have to take them all somewhere at the same time. I generally only use them for when they go to work with me but living in tornado ally and having no basement when I hear we are having a tornado warning I pack everyone up and drive the 2 minute drive to my grandparents house.

Sophie and Mama are mother and daughter and don't mind sharing a carrier with each other, however Millie and Oreo would prefer their own space when in a carrier which is why I feel I need a third just in case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have one cat and one carrier. The only thing I was advised to look for is a carrier where the cat can have room to stretch. Really don't know how that will happen if you have two or more cats in the same box. Poor kitties :-|

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
2 cats ....2 medium soft carriers. They love them and will play in one (I don't like the other one either. Don't have the funds to get another of the one we like. But they do play in it....YEAHS. Which makes it so much easier when it comes to vet visits

·
Registered
63 Posts
5 cats and only 2 carriers - both large though. I use them for both the cats and the birds.
In case of an emergency I was taught to keep pillow cases on hand, especially for my rescue birds. Not very comfortable but it works and works for my large birds, so in case of a fire and not enough carriers, I could see myself also using those for my cats.
I can't guarantee they are going to be thrilled with me when they get out, but at least they'd be alive and much faster and throwing together bulky carriers.

·
Registered
200 Posts
We have two cats and two carriers.

One of our guys is a nervous traveller so he would never be able to share a carrier with his brother. We really only use the one carrier (it's a soft carrier) but we have two just in case, and you never know if you'll need to use a hard carrier for something. If you want to add some more to your collection I'd suggest going with the soft carriers. They're cheaper, can fold away for easy storage or be used as a pet bed, and our nervous guy is more comfortable in it than in a hard carrier.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.