Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my second post here... I need to trim Sasha's claws. It has been almost three weeks since we got her (adult about 3 years) and they are getting long now. So, I need to trim them for the first time. I have been playing and squeezing her paws a little, but I am not sure if she will sit still enough for me to trim them. Any suggestions would be MOST helpful.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Touching her paws a lot will help her getting used to you touching the paws and clip the claws. We did the same with our kittens and now they don't care at all about it.

An idea is to do it while she's asleep, or half asleep. That's what we do and it seems that it's easier. Sam doesn't even flinch when I clip his claws, I can do all four paws at once and he just keeps sleeping. Suzy is a bit more curious, but she doesn't dislike it at all.. she just want to help, which isn't so easy since her big ears are in the way so I can't see what I'm doing. It takes a bit longer for her. :D

I rather clip too little than too much so I don't hurt the kittens (stay away from that pink), so if your cat doesn't bother too much about it, you can make it a little cozy cermony once a week. We clips the nails about every other week, and that seems to work ok.

I hope it works out ok!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
If somebody can help you, try getting the cat wrapped up in a towel where one person holds the cat. Then take out one paw at a time and carefully trim. That's what I have to do for my difficult cat. The other one allows me to do pretty much anything at anytime.

·
Registered
10 Posts
... I'm no expert, but if you've never trimmed a cats nails before, and this is a new cat whose personality is still not totally known to you, I would shedule a vet vist, and have them SHOW you how to do it.

This would serve two purposes: it would let see the right way to do it, AND, how your cat may react when you try it.... Of course, being at the vet may alter how the cat will react under those conditions, but I think it would give you an idea...

Just my two cents worth...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
There are a lot of good tips about claw trimming here:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... how&item=1

The main thing to remember is that you don't have to do trim all 18 claws at once. Let the cat feel like she is "in charge" -- if she struggles, let her go, and try again later. If you make a big deal out of it and sit on her to get it done, she will learn that it is an unpleasant ordeal and her behavior will get worse until you can't do it at all.

I have 5 cats, but only 2 of them will let me trim their nails. The othersuse their scratching post (and a couple of rugs, oh well) to keep the claws healthy. They're sharp, but this I can live with; and because they maintain the claws themselves, they don't have problems with overgrowth into the pad. Once a year I anesthetize them to shave them and do their teeth; that's the only time they get trimmed! I figure, cats maintained their claws without our help for millions of years. So, I let well enough alone. Lazy? Probably. But I'm relatively unscarred!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have clipped my cat's nails ever since they were kittens. I always do both my cats at the same time (for fairness). I don't have much trouble..I'm not an expert but I think the "routine" of doing them gets them used to it. I also get out the bottle of treats when I do this and they know what is coming when I am done!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts