Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three indoor cats. They have never been allowed outside and I always watch them very closely to see that they don't sneak out. I live alone and for a while I lived with my boyfriend who also watched them, etc.

In a week I will be moving to Flordia. I will be living with my boyfriend and his roommate. Plus his roommates girlfriend is over alot. I started worrying. Because I worry ALOT. Anyway I am worried that they kitties could sneak out when I wasn't there being caustious, etc. I don't think they would leave the door open or anything, but you never know what can happen.

I was thinking about gettting all the cats collars, so that I can put tags on them.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this. Am I worrying about nothing? I don't really care for the way collars look on cats. But I am willing to get over that :) Does anyone have collars and tags on their cats? What type?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Token has a safety collar on, you can get those at Petco. I also printed up one of those metal tags that they have. I think it looks cute, and it doesn't seem to bother him.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
All of my cats wear collars :D I am a worrier too, and it gives me piece of mind :D Ashley and Gaylord both have leather collars (Ashley's has jewels on it) and the both have ID tags that I had engraved at Pet Smart, with reflectors on the back. I think they look cute in them :D

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Both Frosty and Kitties have collars and tags. I am also going to have them have microchips implanted - just in case. They are indoor kitties but it is better to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
All my cats have collars on.. Besides teddy, who recently broke his 8O I use break-away collars so they CAN break in case they get caught.. Would rather my cats escape collarless then choke to death. Teddy and Cheyenne both have I.D.s.. they are completely fine with them.

You may also consider microchipping.. Oreo is microchipped.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Sabby has a teal-colored nylon collar with a bit of elastic in it so it can easily slip off if he gets it caught in something. I only put it on him if we're going somewhere. His tags jingle so much that they keep me awake at night, plus when he drinks they get dunked in water and it's very unpleasant when he jumps on my lap and his tags start dripping on me. Yuck.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ianthe said:
All of my cats wear collars :D I am a worrier too, and it gives me piece of mind :D Ashley and Gaylord both have leather collars (Ashley's has jewels on it) and the both have ID tags that I had engraved at Pet Smart, with reflectors on the back. I think they look cute in them :D

It's nice to know I'm not the only worrier :?

·
Registered
722 Posts
We bought Envy and Chaos collars with the gold ID tags from Petmsart just in case they escaped while we were driving across the country, I didnt use to like collars but I think they look really good with the pendants.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. I got them all collar. For now just the basic nylon. Plain black for the boys and a patterned one for the girl :p I got the break away ones. Nylon with the plastic clamp. Anyway. I'm not sure if Zack is a magician or what. He gets the collar off a million times during the day. I did have it pretty lose. He is long hair and I didn't want it to mat down his fluffy mane. Anyway I tightened it, but he is still getting it off somehow!

Has anyone else had this problem?

How tight are the collars supposed to be. I figured it wasn't like a dogs collar so maybe they are too lose.

HELP! I would hate for him to run off and find his collar on the floor!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Mine all have collars, and they're all microchipped. On my little girl (Clover), I think the collar looks like jewelry... I think it makes her look pretty. Of course, I don't think anything could make me think my little Clover isn't beautiful :D .

I would recommend getting collars, and if you do, get the safety ones that you just have to pull to get off. Because if they do get outside, and they get caught in something, you want them to be able to get themselves out by pulling.

I would also recommend getting them microchipped. It isn't too expensive, and almost all shelters and vets check for microchips.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see your post above :oops:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did get the collars. Now my issue is one keeps getting his off :(

·
Registered
672 Posts
As far as how loose it should be, you should be able to easily fit a few fingers under the collar without pulling on it.

Stix and Kota play too much and someone always ends up naked. (In fact I hear bells jingling like crazy in the other room, I bet I will have to look for someone's collar soon... :roll: )

Maybe thats how your kitty is losing his collar? Does he play with the other kitties?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
My guy is microchipped, he is indoors unless outside on a leash. I am bad, but don't put a collar on him. Tried once with a tag and it drove him nuts! I like the break away too. He climbed a tree once, his collar got tangled in a branch and he was too high for me to get and was choking. THank goodness my son was nearby! If it would of ben a break away, this wouldnt of happened.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
You should only be able to slide two fingers under the cat's collar. Any looser than that and there is a risk of the cat being able to get the collar in his mouth and get his jaw caught in it. You don't want that!

I got one of these tags for The DustBunny and I love it! I'm getting one for the other two this week as well. I especially like how there is no "tag noise" with these. If it bugs me, imagine how much it bugs my cats!

Front view of tag, sorry for the crappy pic, but my digicam is MIA.

Inside view of The DustBunny's collar. The tag is placed where the collar is doubled over so it is between her fur and the tag.

This tag was only $6.99, and they don't charge for shipping! You also get a discount when you buy more than one tag, which I didn't find out until I had ordered only one. I got the tag in about 4 days. It's a nice thick piece of hard steel and the text on it is deeply etched into the tag. My pics really don't do it justice.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Hmm.... I just put collars on my cats. When you guys speak of slipping a few fingers underneath, are you talking about the fingers being end-on end, thus meaning over an inch of slack? Or do you just mean being able to grab the collar with more than one finger? Because I have it so that it will fit somewhere between one and two fingers end-on-end and am hesitant to go any looser than that.

Last time I went looser, the cats had the collars in their mouths pretty quickly.

Also, I got a tag from petsmart. But the cats have been licking it a lot. Is it safe for them to be licking that thing constantly??

·
Banned
11,024 Posts
Two fingers together to make an inch, yes. I don't think they should be licking it constantly, maybe put some bitter apple on it, so they stop licking it.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Mine are indoor only also, but after hurricane Katrina and all the lost pets, I've started having mine wear collars with ID as a just in case.
I gave up on Korbel wearing it, she scratches it so bad she had major scabs on her neck. I took it off for about 6 months and decided to try it again with the same results.
My other cat wears it with no problems, but Korbel just won't tolerate it.

·
Banned
12,190 Posts
TAsunder said:
When you guys speak of slipping a few fingers underneath, are you talking about the fingers being end-on end, thus meaning over an inch of slack?
I think it's two fingers pressed together side-by-side, inserted flat, isn't it? I googled numerous web sites and couldn't find a single picture!! :?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts