Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any dosing tips regarding miralax on how to help a cat with constipation.

We had him on 1/4th tps per day twice. And he would typically go 2 or 3 days after this and for 2 to 3 days in a row but it was very mushy.

Now I have him on 1/4th every day instead and he went after 2 days and it was a nice, semi solid bm but I can't tell if it's working for him quite as well as it did last time. We have another cat in the house and 3 litterboxes and it's difficult to tell if he's going or not because of the other cat.

He's otherwise okay, eats and drinks well. Should also mention he's a 10lb cat and he eats primarily wet food with some dry food [given to him by vet], and drinks a lot of water.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have you had a workup…blood work, xrays, ultrasound, etc? Drinking alot of water should generally help to not be constipated, it can be a sign of diabetes. I would take him in to just rule put any condition or ailment.

I had a cat that had bowel issues his entire life, if all the tests come back ok it could just be the food he’s eating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He had bloodwork done, and was x rayed when we brought him in for constipation in September. Everything points to him being a generally healthy cat. They prescribed him Miralax and the Royal Canin High Fiber diet as a way of dealing with it

·
Registered
Lily and Lucy
20 Posts
Besides good food, you might want to try plain canned pumpkin. 1 or 2 tablespoons a day. It is good for either diarrhea or constipation. Might have to adjust the amount to find what works best. Make sure it is plain pumpkin and not pie filling. I separate into small batches and freeze it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
He had bloodwork done, and was x rayed when we brought him in for constipation in September. Everything points to him being a generally healthy cat. They prescribed him Miralax and the Royal Canin High Fiber diet as a way of dealing with it
My cat has constipation resulting from have intestinal cancer. Vet prescribed the Miralax it took couple day to work, but then he started to throw it up. So instead I now give 1/4 teaspoon of canned plain pumpkin twice a day mixed in his soft food and it works like a charm. Now since your cat drinks water and gets canned food I would be concerned as to why this is happening. Did your vet feel really good his abdomen? Good luck.

·
Registered
Lily and Lucy
20 Posts
Besides canned pumpkin. Make sure you never feed your cat cheese or dairy products. I had a cat that it was deadly to her, much like kids with peanut allergies. The 2 I have now can eat it, but honestly after a few times being really sick this past summer... all dairy and people food, even in small amounts are off the menu. They are both doing much better. I do feed them raw ground sirloin and cat food for breakfast with vitamins (Gold Seal) plus 1/4 tsp olive oil. Lysine and cat food and maybe cooked chicken thighs for lunch. Canned cat food, their vitamins and cooked chicken thighs for dinner. No pooping problems for either. I have had problems in the past... even 1/4 teaspoon of cheese can cause problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts