Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Dixie, she is about 13 years old, she's never had any health issues but suddenly she's started doing this sneezing/coughing thing, its not constant but it's maybe one time or a few times a day she goes into like these coughing fits for a minute or two

●●●●This is a video link●●●●

I'm trying to make my parents take her to the vet she is literally my world I've had her since I was little I love her so much
Sometimes she has a runny nose as well if that helps
I'm so worried and I'm a student I don't have a job right now and I'm still a minor and I am so worried I would literally go in debt to help her I have been looking for a job and keep getting turned down

·
Registered
461 Posts
I cannot watch the video, but your description sounds to me like a URI (upper respiratory infection), and this needs to be seen and treated by a vet.
If your parents won't take you and her to the vet (and if they don't, shame on them) then I suggest you take a taxi if that is possible, or get a friend or other relative to take you and her in, because at her age this could turn into something bad if it is not treated. Unfortunately we are not vets here and even if we were we couldn't advise on this without examining the cat. Best of luck to you! I hope she can get good treatment from a vet.

·
Registered
Stanley (aka lanky teenager) Alfie (aka terror of the house) Smudge (aka first of many, RIP)
130 Posts
It does sound like some form of respiratory infection, at least to me. If you can get her in to a vet, I would also consider testing her for FIV, as this can show up as mild flu symptoms, such a runny nose, occasional sneezin and crusty eyes that reoccur over the span of a cat's life. A lot of cats with FIV live long and healthy lives, though problems really start to show up as they age and their already compromised immune system just can't keep up.

Is she still eating ok? Try to give her moisture rich food to support her body while she is unwell.

You may even find that if you call a local vet clinic and just talk to them, they may be able to advise you on what is best to do from here and give you an estimate of treatment cost. Best of luck, please update!

·
Super Moderator
26,810 Posts
Licking the lips and the hurking sound are the prelude to a hairball with my girls. But if she isn't eventually throwing up a hairball, she should probably see a vet.

There are on-line vets.

·
Registered
Andy and Bugsy, best buds!
206 Posts
If this is not an UPI it could be asthma. Our Toby coughed from severe asthma. We had to put him to sleep after 3 weeks, so please take this seriously and take Dixie to the vet. I don't want to be an alarmist but better safe than sorry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts