Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've got two cats, Idgie and Sipsey. They're sisters that we've had since they were young kittens. They always got along fine. If anything, I'd say they were extreme in their bonding. Sipsey in particular starts having a fit if she doesn't know exactly where Idgie is at all times.

Yesterday we had the carpets cleaned. The furniture is moved all over the house.

Last night we were awakened to that distinctive catfight sound. Bottom line is appears Sipsey has flipped her lid and acts like she wants to kill Idgie, who's been hiding under furniture since last night. She also decided to use the kitchen floor instead of the litter box last night.

It seems pretty logical to conclude it had something to do with the carpet cleaning. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this and if it will likely subside once the furniture is restored to normal arrangement or if it could be something physical from the chemicals in the cleaning solution.

Thanks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've never experienced this...but when my carpets are cleaned, I set up "shop" for my cats in my larger bathroom, and they remain in there until the process is done, and the carpets are dry.

Obviously Sipsey's behavioral change seems to be related to the carpet cleaning or the rearrangement of the furniture...many cats do not cope well with a change in their environment. Are you positive that the chemical treatments used to clean your carpet is safe for pets? Could Sipsey of inhaled to much of the fumes directly or consumed any of the chemicals?

I would keep the cats under close observation, and if Sipsey is still behaving aggressively toward the other little gal, then I'd take them to the vet just to be on the safe side...a sudden change in behavior sometimes indicates a health or medical issue, so it would be best to eliminate that possibility first, I guess.

Good luck, and let us know if she begins to return to normal!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the info from the cleaning company and called poison control, just to rule out any physical issues. They said the solutions were mainly just normal soap and detergents and some alkaline ingredients that might cause burning - but he was unaware of any behavioral responses they could cause. In any event he said if she had consumed enough to cause that she almost certainly would be exhibiting physical symptoms as well.

As a side note he said I should really call the vet. I told him the vet said I should call him and he said the vet was "way out of line to suggest that to you." Okie dokie.

I've received quite a few anecdotal stories from coworkers suggesting that cats can react very strangely to changes in environment as you suggest. One said the thing to do is keep them high on catnip until they settle down. :)

So I guess I'll just wait and see at this point. As long as they don't keep me up at night I don't care - my 1-year-old has the market cornered on that responsibility. And my wife doesn't care as long as they don't mess up the clean carpet. :)

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I hope your cat calms down...you could try to confine them with all of their needs into one room if you need to. That might help with their security until everything is back in order.

Bosco will demonstrate his unhappiness by urinating or spraying, each and everytime there is something new happening in the home.
I have learned to work around his moods....I love him with all my heart!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts