Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a lovely3 year old tabby/ginger mix cat called Bella, we adopted her from an animal shelter about 3 months ago. She started off very nervous and timid but has fairly quickly settled and become more comfortable with us. She is a very cuddly cat and demands lots of attention and cuddles (more than any of the other 4 cats i've had before). She is also a very talkative cat, and talks almost constantly when it is just my other half and I at home.
When we first got her she started almost instantly to wake us up every morning at about 5/6am for cuddles, attention and food. We were very strict and started to leave her out of the bedroom and after a week let her back in and from then on had no problems. However in the last week she has begun again to wake us early but this time even as early as 2am. We put her out for 2 nights but she just sits outside the door and crys and crys till she is almost hoarse. She used to be very good and used to sleep on my pillow so I dont know why her behaviour has changed an gone back. Should I just continue to shut her out for a week?

She also has a small furry ball that she loves and carries around in her mouth. Some of the time she plays with it and sometimes she she sits with it and miaows at it. But when she mioaws at it she always goes into a dark room to do it and cries in a very sad way. When you go in to see her she seems suprised to see you and almosts jolts in suprise like she has forgotten you are home. I wonder if she thinks of the ball as her baby?
Is this ok? Or should I take the ball away?

She also has started in the last few weeks to nip people when she gets excited during cuddles. I dont want to really encourage this but as she can still be nervous about loud noises and fast movement I dont reall know how to dicsiplne without freaking her out. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All we were told is that she was living in a house with 10 other cats. None of them had been neutered or sterlised and they all had bad flea and ear mite problems :(
They were also all kept indoors together.
She is still an indoor cat as we live in a flat, but it is a largish flat with a balcony which she sits on but has no interest in getting off of.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I presume she is neutered. Please don't take her toy away. She sounds very lonely. Would you consider getting another cat?

·
Registered
3,164 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have discussed this being the problem.
When we first went looking for other cats we did think about getting another cat but when she was put in the same area as other cats that had been housed with her she backed into a corner and tried frantically to get out of the room. Which made us deciede just to get only Bella.
I do believe she is very happy with us and she looks healthy and happy. She is also very confortable around us and now and is also not nervous of new people so I think she has settled very well. An we do love her very much.
Even though she is much more happy, relaxed and comfortable I wonder what her reaction would be if another cat was introduced into her environement?
I dont want to take her toy away, I was jusy anxious that perhaps it was doing more harm than good.
And yes she is now neutered.

·
Registered
365 Posts
well if you do it correctly (new cat in bathroom for at least a week) you will notice immediately that your cat quits screaming at your door(or at least slows down) and becomes interested in what is behind the bathroom door!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts