Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the passing of Charlie the old man McCloud is having a bad time. He has a unerie ability to cry that sounds like he is talking. This is not a soft "talk"noise, this is at the top of his lungs yowl. To date his "words" have sounded like, help, mom, me, out and now. He has come up with a new one that sounds like "why". He yelled it most of the night last night. Nether me or my husband could sleep. When we would try to pick him up he would kick out and run a couple feet just to start yelling again. Has any one else ever had this? Do you know how long it might last? Do you have any ideas how to help him?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Awwww that is so sad. Poor guy. I don't know how long it will last, but I have heard many times that getting a kitten helps older cats with their grief. Doesn't sound like it would work, and I have never tried it, but a lot of people that come into the pet store I work at tell me that it works well. That is, if you want another cat!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Times ago, when one of my cats died, the "left over" cried the hole night. She was so sad and so alone. About 3 weeks later I brought her a young tomcat and exactly since that time she stopped crying in the night.
What about a companion for your cat?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have a 4 year old tom, Max that he will play with. But like today he was racing around the house and all the suden stoped and looked around and started to cry.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I would have him checked by your vet to make sure it isn't a physical problem. Lots of things could be simmering under the surface but brought out with the stress of loss. These symptoms sound a lot like hyperthyroidism.

If it's an emotional problem, flower essences can help a lot. We have a remedy "Grief" designed just for this situation. www.spiritessence.com.

Good luck!
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After a couple days he calmed right down. We did take him to the vet and all he is suffering from is good heath! :D He has know taking the spot Charlie has left open and I have a cat on me near me at all times. He is playing like his old self and no one in the house is save wearing socks! Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts