Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think our cat is depressed.

We had two cats until two weeks ago one was put down as her kidneys had failed.

Only one is left. We're worring now that he isn't acting the same.
It could be we're imaging this. But, could he be depressed? Is he missing the other cat or stressed over where she's gone?

We had a look on the internet for advice on cat depression and found this
http://www.catchow.com/catcarecenter_emotional3.aspx?storyID=27&category=2. Anyone have any other advice?

·
Registered
697 Posts
So sorry about the loss of your other cat. I'm still grieving over putting ours down almost a month ago. I was really depressed myself. And no, its not your imagination...our Siamese that's a year older than the other cat was depressed too for about 3-4 days. She would cryl and walk around aimlessly crying. In retrospect, clearly different the 'cries' were different from the yowls. She would cry/meow in the middle of the night. Those were things that she normally didn't do. I guess in my sadness I didn't pay any attention to that and thought she was just being annoying. When I realized she was grieving/depressed as well. I started to hold her more and pay more attention to her. Still wakes us up but not as often. She's sleeping more through the night like she used to. Every body grieves differently so I imagine animals do too. Takes time to heal. How sad. My thoughts are with you and your surviving cat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss...yes, there was an article written recently about cats mourning, cats develope deep bonds to people and other members of the household and when one of them leaves the remainding cat can become depressed, if kitty does not seem herself/himself please discuss this with your vet, to rule out any medical problems early. If it does turn out to be more of any emotional problem discuss with your vet possible options: over the counter you can purchase Feliway or Rescue Remedy, I have used both on my cats and found them very helpful. But, before "medications" I would have kitty checked out first, to make sure there isn't anything else going on.

Try to spend time with your remainding cat, remember you two have something in common, you both lost a beloved member of the family.

fyi....there is a website for pet loss: www.petloss.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the support and I'm sorry to hear about your cats. We are still depresssed and it does take a long time to grieve. Unfortunately it looks like our other cat might be ill as well.

I've posted a new topic under health and nutrition in the hope of getting some help on his condition.

http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8267

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of your loss..cats form close bonds with people and or pets in the home so it's quiet possible your cat is depressed. Have you taken your cat to the vet to rule out any medical problems? I would do this if you haven't already done so and then discuss option on helping your cat if he/she is grieving...best of luck to you...I'm hoping your vet will be able to give you clear answers..

·
Registered
697 Posts
Maybe you should have your other cat checked out by your vet. I hope its nothing serious. My thoughts are with you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts