Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a few weeks ago - thanks to everyone for their help, but now I have a new problem.

(Very brief introduction): My girlfriend and I have two cats, Shelley (who is older) and Bagheera (who we just adopted a few months ago). They got along fine together initially, until a couple of weeks living together, then Bagheera developed a problem with pooping (but thankfully not peeing) around the house. A full vet physical and tests showed that both cats were free of parasites or other nasties.

I've determined (after several weeks) that the cause of Bagheera's little messes around the house are most likely due to his negative interactions with Shelley. She constantly chases him around the house, approaches him and bops him in the face with her paws, etc. wherever he is. We've tried multiple litterboxes, etc, but, as I feared before, it isn't a litterbox problem. It doesn't matter where he goes, she comes and either chases him off, or lures him away so she can get to be with us, or eat first, etc. I notice a strong correlation between this kind of behavior and Bagheera defecating out of the litterbox. Verbally discouraging them doesn't work. Water spraying doesn't work. Separation doesn't seem to work, either - we simply cannot lock one cat up in a room just because the other doesn't play nicely. That isn't fair.

I'm quite frankly tired of picking up cat feces from my carpet every day or two (yes, I do realize owning a cat is work, and I'm more than happy to do it, but this is a little silly). This needs to end quickly. Tonight, as we were lying in bed, Bagheera jumped up and lay down with us. Shelley came in, and constantly went around the room (my girlfriend says she's seen her do this to other cats in the past - she's trying to lure them away from the bed so she can lay with us). Bagheera wasn't falling for it. After 30 mins of this, she finally jumped up on the bed, and lunged at him (I saw the whole exchange - again, she was the aggressor).

I promptly jumped out of bed (they ran away). I managed to grab both of them, and tossed them in a bathroom together (with the litterbox, of course), and shut the door. I'm going to leave them in there for a little while, and then let them out - I figure: let them have at it, and maybe get over this problem (though I haven't heard anything from in there).

So the question: Is what I did a good idea to stop the aggression? I know it's a forced re-introduction (in a rather small space), but I don't know what else to do. Getting rid of one of them is *NOT* an option.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I think by "grabbing" them and "tossing" them in the bathroom you may make the aggresion worse. I understand your frustration though. I am sorry I cant really offer any more advice. I hope someone can. :?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the record, as ticked off as I was at them causing me loss of sleep until 4am, I did not abuse the cats. No, I didn't really "grab them and toss them" - sorry, it was very late at night/early in the morning, and I was trying to type quickly.

This message isn't aimed at you, Lilly (thanks for being understanding of my frustration, though). I seem to recall a much earlier post by some guy who
had mistakenly hurt his kitten while playing with it. Even though this guy had the backbone to post a message to the forum saying what he had done, most of the responses were pretty negative towards him. I felt sorry for him, for being so honest about it, and then getting slammed.

So... that being said, I don't abuse my cats - sorry that my post may have made it sound that way. Typing stuff at 3 am is always a bad idea. :-(

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
liontamer said:
I promptly jumped out of bed (they ran away). I managed to grab both of them, and tossed them in a bathroom together (with the litterbox, of course), and shut the door. I'm going to leave them in there for a little while, and then let them out - I figure: let them have at it, and maybe get over this problem (though I haven't heard anything from in there).
That ISNT going to help. If the are so aggreive to each other, or rather one is to another locking them in a small room together will cause serious injury, yeah they will fight, but it wont help, the weaker more timid one can get seriously hurt and you will end up with large vet bills, then the loosing cat will always timid away from the other, encouraging the fact that it is boss and can push the other around.

Try some vanilla essence on the back of thier necks- they then have a similar/same smell, this may help in stopping the aggresion, but please what ever you do dont lock them in a room together like that, i know at 3 am it a pain in the butt, ive had it myself but the worst thing to do is put them together with no-where to escape if a fight brakes out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zalensia,

This is regular old supermarket vanilla essence? If so, I'll be more than happy to try it.

Oddly enough, I heard only one screech from the bathroom the entire time, when I let them out, they seemed to be just fine with each other (but began fighting again within the hour).

·
Registered
676 Posts
I didn't see your former post, but just a couple things that I can mention off the top of my head.

When the aggressor goes after the other cat, stop it asap, take your cat and calmly place it somewhere else, doesn't have to be locked up in a bathroom, but you can close the door to where you and the other cat are so that she can't get in. It will help calm her down, get her mind off the other cat and give her something else to do.

Another thing to try is the Feliway plug-in. However this can take 1-3 months to see a real difference if there will be any at all.

Another option, sense you haven't had the other cat for too long yet, would be to rehome her. We all worry about how rehoming a cat will be stressful for them, but it sounds like this cat is already living with a great deal of stress, and can feel the stress her owners are under as well.

Just a few things I can suggest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts