Cat Forum banner

cat does not like wet food

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  ronss 
#1 · (Edited)
i just don,t know if my cat will ever eat wet food, he is just not fond of it....i know that its probably better than dry, but how do i get him to switch???when i give him wet, he acts like it belongs in the kitter litter box,and trys to cover it up with his paws as if hes scoopiing cat litter on it...though its on a tile floor

#4 ·
Chances are if you just keep offering him a different type of wet every day, you'll get nowhere. My girls wouldn't eat wet food last summer and I did what you're doing...I kept offering them different types of wet food. I can't count the number of cans I had to throw out, and I got nowhere!

I then read the article in the link below and followed its recommendations. My girls now eat wet food. The article is pretty long, although it's worth reading...and there's a section called "Tips for Transitioning -- Getting Dry Food Addicts to Eat Canned Food" which is very helpful.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

#9 ·
I definitely need to read that article. Both my cats won't touch wet food- Evie vomits straight after eating it. Neither has never eaten wet food, so it may be a difficult problem to solve. But at the moment they are on Orijen dry food with grilled chicken breast, cooked ham or grilled turkey. So I need to transition them!

#12 ·
Good news! I think that when cats are not used to wet food, they often don't even realize it's food. When they smell the dry, it "reminds" them that it IS food. When I first transitioned my girls, I tried many of the tricks suggested in the article. I finally put a bunch of pieces of kibble in my coffee grinder and ground them up to make "kibble pepper", which I sprinkled on top of their wet food. That's what finally convinced them to eat the wet...because they could smell and taste the kibble pepper on top, and then they would just eat right through and polish of the wet food. If parmesan and a few pieces of kibble worked for you, that's great. I'd keep doing that for now until he gets used to the taste of the new food.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.