Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just full of newbie questions today! :D

I was wondering if a kitten unable to meow is an 'issue.' My 7month old kitten has always meowed, loudly. My 5 month old cannot meow very well, it is very whispery and high pitched, barely audible. Is this normal or may he have some problem? I am probably being overprotective :D

·
Registered
273 Posts
many cats don't meow. the feral that i am socializing didn't make any sound at all for probably 2 months after i tnr'd her. now, a couple of months later all she does is make this high pitched yet very quiet meow when she wants food. unless your vet finds something wrong with him/her don't worry about it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Several cats aren't vocal -- it actually ranges from breed to breed.

If you're that concerned, you could take it in for a check up, but I highly doubt that it's anything to worry about!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Muffs is the same way. She rarely meows, and when she does she sounds like a cat with laryngitis! Like you I was worried, and so I asked my vet when I took her in for her shots (this was some time ago, when she was about 4 months old). He said not to worry, some cats just have funny meows.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Athena's meow sounds exactly like you describe. She rarely does, and when she does it's usually pretty faint and hoarse.

As she got older she managed to meow louder here and there. I don't know if that's a learned behavior from Apollo or something else. But yeah, I wouldn't worry. Some cats are just silent meowers.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My gal's meow is tiny and kind of gargly, I wouldn't even know it was a meow if I wasn't looking at her while she made that lil squeek LOL
I kinda like it as I've had overly vocal cats before....her lil noises are a nice change! :)

·
Super Moderator
26,494 Posts
Cali's sound is like a soft little "caw" sound, you can barely hear it.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
We could trade for a little while. Bring Nutmeg with you and we'll switch them back in a few months. :boxing

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Of the 30 strays I care for, only one has a "normal" (or conventional) miaow. Most don't meouw and some have each their own signature meouw. The hoarse one, the trill one, etc. etc. Fortunately - because that way I know who's talking at any time. Prince, my recently adopted cat, only miaows when he's been in the conventional meouwer stray's company for a long time. He sounds lovely then, but it goes away after a few minutes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts