Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cat doesn’t use litter box for urinating?

I have browsed the Internet, and ‘googled’ cat behavior on several occasions to find a solution for this problem. I figure a cat forum would be the best way to get some solid advice. This is my first post and from all the other postings that I have read so far this seems to be a great site with some great people!

My cat, Kliffurd recently has been peeing on my bathroom floor. He used to pee on the floor mat that I had down, but since I got rid of the mat it seemed to have stopped for a while. All of a sudden it has started up again! Its not every time he urinates, just once in a while, also I notice that if there is even the smallest piece of toilet paper on the floor (size of a quarter) he will pick that to urinate on, why is that?

Im trying to figure a way to stop this from happening as soon as possible! Kliffurd’s litter box is in tall vertical closet in the bathroom. I always keep the litter box clean, and empty it every day!

Is there something wrong with the litter im using? Should I get a litter box that in not enclosed? The litter box has always been in a similar location so I don’t think that this is due to where I have it placed?

Also, what is the proper way to teach him not to do this when I return from work, or wake up and find the urine on the bathroom floor?

THANKS!!!

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Does he poo on the floor too? He may just be one of those cats who needs one litter box for pee and one litter box for poo.

If he is also pooing on the floor and missing the litterbox entirely, he may be unhappy about any combination of the following factors: location, size of box, type of litter, amount of litter in the box.

In any case, get yourself a good enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle and use it to clean the entire bathroom floor. Even if you fix the problem that's keeping him from peeing in the box, you'll need to get the scent off the floor so he doesn't continue to pee there.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no poo, just pee :D

:D no poo. he always uses the litter box when he 'poops.' and i keep it clean poop free.

in the past i have used the litter tha clumps, i have changed to the kind that doesnt clump, and just absorbs the liquid. do you think that this maybe the problem? the reason i changed was just cause it was cheaper, but if it will slove the problem im willing to pay the difference...

thanks again, and i will have a picture up soon!

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
If you say in the past you had used clumping litter, and he started peeing occasionally after you changed the litter then that is most likely your problem right there. Maybe with the cheaper litter, the odor is not absorbing or something to his dislike where he doesn't want to use the box. Like Annissa said clean with enzyme cleaners to remove the smell first. Good luck :p

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you haven't already, I would strongly recommend having your cat checked for a medical problem before addressing a behavioral issue.

Urinating outside of the litter box is the number one sign that there is a problem and usually that problem is an urinary tract infection. Urinary tract or bladder infections are painful and cats start to associate the litter box with a painful experience and will choose to go somewhere else. My cat was also going on little thing on the floor and it turned out to be a urinary tract infection.

If he or she hasn't already, your veterinarian will need to take a urine sample from your kitty and check it for any signs of infection. Urinary tract infections are treated with antibiotics, but some infections are more stubborn than others and may require several rounds of antibiotics or further testing. Your doctor will know more depending on the results.

If the urine checks out normal, then you'll know you are dealing with a behavior problem and, if it is, then I agree with everyone who mentioned going back to the original litter, getting an additional litter box, and using enzyme cleaners. You may also want to consider getting an automatic litter box to keep it extra clean, and/or a product known as Feliway which releases pheromones into the air to help discourage inappropriate urination and reduce stress. I have used both products with much success. And in regards to the rug, certain rugs have a rubber backing that attracts cats to urinate on them. I had to get rid of mine, too.

But if all else fails, I have managed to re-train my cat to use the litter box by leaving him only in the bathroom with the litter box, food, and water. He remained in the bathroom at all times. I made sure to go in there and give him some attention/affection by holding him and talking to him. It was very hard to do because I felt bad when he cried, but after about a week or so, I was able to let him run around again. My vet told me that in close quarters, cats do not typically want to urinate where they will need to be sleeping and he didn't. I had to make sure there was no other appealing places to urine, like trash cans that could be tipped over or dirty laundry, and I had to keep about 1 inch of water in the bathtub to discourage urination there. This method can be used in any small room and once the cat is reliably using the litter box, you can slowly reintroduce the kitty back into his territory. Seemed harsh at first, but it worked. You might want to check with your vet and see if she or he has any more tips. I hope I was able to help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts