Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl Pfeffa, who is long haired, has never groomed herself, not in any real useful way, at least. I think it is a combination of her unusual body structure and her neurological issues (nothing diagnosed, she's just...weird). She licks her front paws - just the tops, not between the toes or anything, and has this odd sitting position where she can reach her belly and she licks that. I've seen her do the "using the paw as a washcloth" thing on her face, but she doesn't swipe much beyond her nose. That's ALL.

Her fur, probably because of her lack luster grooming, has always formed quick mats, and certain spots (especially on her back, near her tail) sometimes have a greasy feel, and she occasionally suffers from dandruff. I spend time several days a week combing her out with a mat comb - the only thing I could find that would go all the way through her thick fur - it's like she has a double coat. I'm often having to resort to cutting the mats out. Since her brother Norville passed away, it's gotten worse, since he used to groom her too. I have not given her an actual bath since she was a kitten with diarrhea - she's too panic-prone.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on what to do. I've seen somewhere that you can use a washcloth - is there a safe soap-type thing to use as well, or is water enough? Does anyone have any recommendations for a good tool (brush, comb, mit) that works well on long haired cats?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Please try a rubber curry comb and a slicker.
Trade off between them! I do have short hair cat, but the anount of fur that comes off the cat is amazing compared to anything else I have tried.
It seems to work like a magnet...but the rubber teeth are short so I know it does not actually comb down to his skin....regardless....try it!
They only cost under $2.00! You cant lose!
Curry combs are made for horses...they come in plastic and rubber...
buy the rubber type!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll look for a curry comb as you suggest.

What's a slicker look like? What I'm thinking as a slicker brush has a fairly large surface, and short, metal teeth. Is that something else?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pfeffa had a run in with a urinary tract infection a year or so back, and the vet put her on a prescription diet - she eats Hills Prescription Diet c/d, canned, and a mix of c/d dry food with Eagle Pack dry food. She doesn't like anything else - treats or anything - so that's all she's taking in.

In searching online, I've seen some curry combs for horses, and some type of similar thing for cats (I think) called "the Zoom Groom", and some slickers (some with rubber bristles, some with metal).

Also, I came across some cleaning wipes...anyone ever use these?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I hope you read this before you go shopping....
I have the "zoom groom" too..."curry comb" works way better!
Plus it cost less than half the price. My slicker has metal teeth and
it is rectangle in shape....they look like they would hurt.
I am very careful with it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yeah...I'm stuck at work for another hour and a half so I can't do any shopping for a while yet.

I'm glad that you told me about the "zoom groom" - it's so pretty I was swayed for a moment...I'll definitely look to the curry comb. Any particularly good spots online to order one? I can't think of a horse supply shop around me, although I'm sure they exist.

I'll go to a store to look at the slickers. I thought I saw a few listed as "for sensitive skin" so maybe they would be less mean.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
My cat Twinkie doesn't clean much either and since his hair is medium short, he licks one spot and keeps licking same spot since the fur is kinda long under his chin. I don't ever see him clean like Sugar but thank goodness he doesn't stink.

I have those kitty bath wipes and they work ok....best thing to do is give a bath if you haven't done that for a long time. The wipes just clean up a little and make their fur smell nice.

Your cat may just be very spoiled too. She had someone else cleaning her coat and you brushing it, now she's probably like "I have to clean my OWN coat myself?" :lol:

P.S.-Check Ebay, I am almost positive they have it there.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I bought my curry comb at a Farm & Fleet store.
Not sure if you have them in your area.
Any farm supply place usually carries horse stuff.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OH MY!

I got the slicker brush yesterday and can't tell you the amount of fur that came off this cat! Absolutely amazing. I'm thinking that this will make such a huge difference for her coat. There were a few spots that are starting to form that pre-mat tangle that the slicker couldn't help (the de-mat comb will fix that tonight) but WOW. I'm just amazed and so thankful - what a great suggestion!

I'll still look for the curry comb - is it better than the slicker? I can't imagine anything being better than this :D

·
Registered
656 Posts
My mom has on old cat who doesnt clean herself well. She uses baby wipes and helps to keep her clean along with brushing. She also gives her a bath every month or as needed.

I am glad the brush is working for you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts