Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crusoe is short-haired, and he's constantly shedding. I want to groom him on a consistent basis. I have a rubber-type brush and also a wire slicker brush. He seems to hate the idea of being brushed in any capacity. I've tried doing very short grooming sessions and giving treats right afterward. Plus, I've tried being extremely gentle and apply very little pressure, just enough to get the job done. He still wants nothing to do with it. Not only that, but the very few times I've managed a once-over, quite a bit of hair tends to gather at his back leg area, and of course, by the time I'm to that point he wants to bolt. What's the easiest way of getting the excess hair off him at that point?

Does anyone have any words of wisdom on this issue? It's really frustrating.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
You don't need to do it. Short hairs are fine about not being brushed. The reason for massive shedding could be due to lots of reasons that CAN be solved though. What food, air temp in your house and other things can be factors.

My cat is the same (although she does tolerate 1-2 strokes, then runs off).

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I would try a grooming mitt. They sell them at most pet stores. It is a rubber glove with tiny nubs on it. This may work because it is your hand inside the mitt that will be petting your cat.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
A dishwashing glove (the kind with ridges on the fingers for grip) could also be used. Dampen it slightly before stroking the cat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts