Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Any thoughts on what to do with a cat who doesn't understand/acknowledge when you're sick? I'm currently sick at the moment, and just like other times when I've been ill, Sarge is just as demanding - if not more so - of my time and attention, even when I'm in bed, coughing, and feeling terrible. He also doesn't let me sleep at night, and there isn't another place I can put him so I can rest since I live in a tiny studio apartment. Thoughts/advice??

I feel like I post here more to complain about Sarge than anything else, but I assure you that he's really a sweetheart!! Just a quirky sweetheart :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Agree with hoofmaiden. Ritz is the same way. Ritz is currently in the HEAR ME ROAR BECAUSE I CAN mood. I'm currently having a flare up of knee and back problems so it is painful for me to get up and down with her every beck and call. Feed her and turn your back on her, literally. Sometimes helps me sleep an extra 15 minutes (though the 'lovingly' placed paw on my face gets me every time....).

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
It's tough love. He knows you're not that sick and he's keeping you from milking it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your thoughts and well wishes! I'm hoping I can kick this cold soon, though admittedly I think it's getting drawn out because of not sleeping well/enough.. I always feel bad pulling Sarge off my chest or moving his paws when he's purring and kneading, but I've been trying to move him paws off me and literally turn my back on him. A few times he's followed me, thinking it's a game, but maybe he'll see it sooner than later..

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Some people say their cats know when they're sick and actually help nurse them through it, but I've sure never had that experience. And that's one of the things I love about cats --- they're always themselves, no matter what else is going on around them.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I'd like to say my guys nurse me through it but...I think it's more like I'm a captive human heating pad that doesn't have the strength or energy to crawl out from under them.

I was home yesterday with a migraine and the 3 of us spent the majority of the day in bed, under the covers, with the blinds drawn.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My little Burmese and Scottish Fold know when I am sick and they are both constantly by my side when I don't feel well. The others, well... they act no different. In fact, I could swear they act more rambunctious and act out a little. LOL

·
Banned
198 Posts
Artie seems to know when I am sick. When I had asthmatic bronchitis, he would not leave me! When I coughed, it scared him. All he did was jump down from either my lap or the couch (I was lying on it) wait and watch and then return to me!
Now that I have a broken upper arm, it is a tad different. He did want to play a lot when I was first home, but then calmed down quite a bit. Maybe a little too much. Now that I am a bit better, he seems to have forgotten how we played a lot. Artie has been a constant companion. Seems to be around me about 90% of the time. He is always on my lap. I really know he senses when I have a bad day, cuz he is very quiet and naps a lot.
I guess cats are like people..they all have different personalities.
:butterfly
:eek:rcat

cyn

74 Posts
I highly recommend velcro... Im just saying that if you wrap the cat in velcro and stick a patch to the wall you can just (gently) throw him up there and he should stick for the rest of the night :D I kid I kid please dont report me :p

·
Registered
889 Posts
To totally botch a meme,

CAT DON'T CARE.

XD

Basically, I'm not sure if cats can really sense our moods/feelings/illnesses in quite the same way dogs can - dogs evolved as empathic, "pack" creatures that need to be aware of how the other members of its pack are feeling and acting at all times. Cats... didn't ;} They're not inferior to dogs, just not as "naturally" empathic as a canine.

And even if they ARE just as empathic, they rarely seem to care! XD

Anyway! Have you tried investing in something like Feliway? It's a bit on the expensive side for a diffuser, but it literally works miracles with some cats:

FELIWAY - Official Site

Barring that, you could try getting him a few "zero interaction" toys that he can play with by himself, like those "ball in a circular track" things. That way he can tire himself out and let you sleep at night!

Good luck! Hope you feel better soon :}

·
Registered
435 Posts
It occurred to me just now that sometimes Humans don't know when their Cat is sick; they are soooo good at hiding illnesses.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts