Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The summer has suddenly hit us in England and the number of flies has exploded over night! Any suggestions how to keep the flies at bay from the cats doo? The litter trays are kept in the garage so easy access for flies and I cannot keep them clean when I am at work. Also we don't have plastic bins so the cat litter goes into plastic bags which are kept outside the house. They must smell wonderful to the flies as there are loads of them now!

Initially the kittens enjoyed the target practice of beating up the flies but they seem to be getting a bit bored of them now!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Fly strips! It won't catch them all, and you'll have to hang them high enough so curious kitties won't get stuck, but low enough so the flies *will* get stuck, but that's all I can think of.

We have a tree here in the US, I think it's called hedgeapple , with great apple-green bumpy fruits that look a bit like a brain. I don't think you can eat them, but allegedly cutting one in half and leaving it in a room will make the flies stick to it. I've never used it, and have no idea if it is harmful to cats, so obviously you'd want to do a LOT more research.

http://hedgeapple.com/

ETA: a random "a" that was left out

·
Registered
8 Posts
Eucalyptus oil helps. Get the real essential oil and not just the perfume stuff. I put on a cotton ball in a little votive bowl.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You can sometimes get them using a home-made fly trap. We used it in my one college class. You take a funnel with a wider tube (wide enough for the fly to slide down but not fly up) and put it in a mason jar or something like that. Then you can add white vinegar to the bottom of the jar. The fly will be attracted to the vinegar and go to it and get trapped in the jar. It works really well with fruit flies too.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Hi there!

Fly paper sounds good! I would mostly stay away from anything that deters flies with fumes or chemicals, though - cats will be sensitive to chemicals and you wouldn't want to put anything around that would cause them harm. Go for something old fashioned...

:) Fran

1 - 5 of 5 Posts