Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone !
my cat mishka got fleas like 2 weeks ago , it was getting out of hand .... i tried flea shampoo , flea spray ... but nothing really worked .
so i decided the best idea is to get the flea collar which is made by "Armitage" .
anyways Mishka is 2 years old and she never had a collar on . so now when i put the new flea collar on her neck ( i made it a bit loose ) she got all disturbed and annoyed , she started running around the house and flip on the floor like crazy for like a whole hour or more .... now she calmed down but she is acting like she is sick .... she keeps hiding under the table, and is laying there the whole time .....she even looks sick !!!
i also forgot to mention that the collar stinks , it has this annoying smell .... i also put one on my other 7 months cat , and she didnt seem to have a problem with it !!!
so any suggestions how can i help my cat to get through this experience ... and should i keep it on or not ?

cheers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh Yikes! Take it off right now!

I had a cat almost die from a flea collar! My cat acted the same way and I took her to the vet and he cut off the collar. It wa poisoning her! Contrary to what the boxes say, most cats shouldn't wear a flea collar.

Talk to your vet and see if they recommend Frontline or Advantage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Frontline or Advantage will work great! I use it with all the cats that come through to be placed in new homes. We had a little male come in that was so covered with fleas that he had a moving coat patturn! :shock: I put the front line on him and put him in a out side pen. After about 20 min he started hopping and jumping around then started to run! What we figgured was when the stuff started to work the fleas started moving in mass. After being out side of about 2 hours we brought him back in and flea combed him. We found vary few fleas and had a happy little boy on our hands. :D

Please get that flea color off right now. They do not work and are dangerous for any animal! If you can not afford to get the whole pack of flea stuff from the vet ask about a one month applation. My vet will sell them for about $10.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Just wanted to jump in here and remind everyone who reads this not to buy Hartz flea drops. Always buy your cat's flea medications from your veterinarian and never from a supermarket.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
There's probably no need to, but I just wanted to be sure to drive the message home: please take that collar off NOW!!!!!! Any flea collar, regardless of brand, is dangerous and poisonous to the animal. So many other cat people have reported various reactions to them exactly like yours, others worse with skin that looks burned, and the worst, 2 deaths I know of. Those that nothing happened to don't know how lucky they are.

I know, it's quite sad to that a product made "specifically" for cats, with a picture of a happy cat on the pack, and reassurances saying it's safe for cats is NOT. Glad you noticed, hopefully you caught it in time.

I also second Annissa's post.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx for the replies ...
well my cat was acting way tooo wierd so i decided to cut it off even before i read the replies !! now she is as happy as before :D .
but the collar is still on my other cat .... it doesnt seem to bother her AT ALL .... she is acting normal like nothing new happend !

so should i keep it on her or should i take it off ??
like i said she seems to be comfortable with it !!

cheers.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I would remove it for no other reason than the collar bothers your other cat. Plus, Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution would be much more effective at combating fleas.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well unfortunately where i live they dont have advantage or Frontline ....
so im thinking of ordering it from ebay ( might be a bit cheaper ) .

i found those :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20738&item=4304980221&tc=photo
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20738&item=4304437885

also i was wondering , do these flea traps really work ??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20738&item=4304698175
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20749&item=2385233560

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Personally, I would never buy flea medication from anyone or anything other than my veterinarian. Someone posted recently that there is counterfeit Advantage (or was it Frontline?) on the market currently. It's too bad your vet doesn't carry it. Have you tried calling other vets in your area?

I don't know anything about flea traps so I'm unqualified to answer your question about those. Sorry...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Flea traps will work ok if you are willing to do every thing else that is needed for them to work. You will have to flea comb your cat once a day and vac. your floors daily. It will take a while but this does work. You will also have to make them inside only cats of this will not work.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Flea collars are worthless; they don't work, and they contain a bunch of toxic chemicals that will hurt the cat. Don't use them on either of your cats!

Where are you that you don't have these products but do have flea collars?

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 11 of 11 Posts