Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

One of my cats was killed by a car, and one was hit by a car and luckely survived it. I don't want this to happen anymore, and want to install a cat fence for the garden. Does anyone has experience with cat fences? There seems to be 3 main systems:
invisible system (with an electrostatic chock)
electric fences
inclined nets that you can put on top of existing fences.

The invisible fence seems very interesting, but I have doubt if it works for a cat.
Does anyone has experience with these type of fences?

Regards,

Jurgen

·
Banned
12,190 Posts
No personal experience with any of your choices, so this is just a point of view, but I think the first two are not good choices for use with cats. They each involve causing physical distress to the cat, and frankly I don't even think a cat version is made for the invisible fence. I have read of the third choice, and that would be what I would suggest. :) Sorry about your loss. :(

·
Registered
397 Posts
I think that Invisible fences work fine for cats. Yes there is the initial stress from the shock but it's not enough to actually harm your cat. It's like spraying water in the face, just a different method to teach your cat good and bad behavious. Bad behaviour in this case is running out.

The only bad thing I have really heard of Invisible fences is that for animals that run VERY quickly (we're talking like a greyhound fast) it does nothing to stop them because they will run out and not even notice the initial shock and then feel it later when they slow down and get confused and mentally disturbed in that way. But like I said your cat would have to run EXTERMELY fast for them to miss that initial shock.

Good luck and I hope you get a lot more advice.

I sat in on an invisible fence sales when my boyfriends parent's were thinking of getting one BUT they do have a Whippet (smaller version of greyhound).

·
Registered
115 Posts
They do make invisible fence type things for cats. I had one for awhile to block off the doggy door, but they really don't work very well at all. I think the inclined net would work best, that is what I'm planning on using soon.

·
Banned
12,190 Posts
While I don't have any experience with any of the electric devices, I DO have personal experience with every other cat deterrent device, including some of my own invention, and I've concluded from that experience that devices that operate on a negative conditioning principal have a very low success rate with cats. Basically what that means with respect to keeping a cat within a confined area, is that the only practical means of 100% success is complete physical confinement.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Once again CATS are just as DIFFERENT as PEOPLE not everyone has the same experiances maybe you just happen to have supersonic cats. :p

·
Registered
521 Posts
i dont think tim's saying everyone has the same experience, i think he's letting people know what his experiences are cuz its helpful to know all sides of it. i think its helpful... :)

·
Registered
521 Posts
BoscosMum said:
I would build an outdoor enclosure.....
Or keep them in the house. :D
we have a very small back yard :( so a cat enclouser will look very odd, as it would take up most of the backyard. so...i'm off to build one!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
kitty_miss said:
BoscosMum said:
I would build an outdoor enclosure.....
Or keep them in the house. :D
we have a very small back yard :( so a cat enclouser will look very odd, as it would take up most of the backyard. so...i'm off to build one!
Huh??? What the heck are you talking about? :?

·
Banned
12,190 Posts
kitty_miss said:
he's letting people know what his experiences are
Yes, thank you. Exactly what I was saying. I don't have any experience with an invisible fence and we haven't had anybody with actual experience post in this thread, so we can only use our own experiences, and hopefully the experiences of others, to come to our own decision on whether an invisible fence would work for our own cats. It's a very expensive thing to purchase. I would certainly want to have a reasonable assurance it's going to be effective before I purchase it. And I would have to say, based on my own experiences with my own cats, that my conclusions are that if one's cat is of a shy, timid, unadventurous, and compliant personality type it might work. However, if one's cat is fearless, adventurous, and strong-willed, most likely it won't work.

Something else not brought up yet is static electricity. The way the invisible fence system works is similar to static electricity. And despite being shocked numerous times over this winter during petting, grooming, nose-touching, etc., my cats haven't been deterred in the least from continuing to want to engage in those activities. :)

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
No experience with invisible fences, but doubt its effectiveness for cats.

I'm building an outdoor run on one side of my house for the cats, with an entrance thru a window. I'm having problems settling on a nice enclosure material, because I don't want it looking cobbled and tacky, and the frames need to be removable.

LisaViolet did an extraordinary job enclosing her property several years ago. Here's her site: LisaViolet. Could have good ideas for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
invisible fence

Hi,

Thanks for all the posts I still don't know for sure, but I think a real fence with inclined nets is the best. I did a test this WE. I made a small containment with nets, and the cats realy don't know how to handle nets. I also went to a shop to ask advice about the invisible fence. They told me one lady with 2 cats was very happy with it. But I did not speak to that lady myself. I spoke to people that have the invisible fence for their dog, and it works fine. But watching the training video, I was thinking it would be very difficult to train a cat like that.

So I think I go for the inclined nets, it will give a more safe feeling I think.

Regards,

Jurgen

1 - 16 of 16 Posts