Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have 2 house cats, aged 9(yoko, female) and 3(leon, male), both neutered.

When I first got leon, yoko mothered him and everything was fine, but over the last few months leon has started running up to yoko while she sleeps and biting her neck or her ear really hard and not letting go. She starts wailing and hissing but can't seem to fight him off (she's really small) and I have to get him off her myself.

Is this normal? and has anyone any advise on how to stop it if it's not?

Thanks!

· Registered
5,669 Posts
Some cats are slow maturing (like Maine **** cats) who take 4 yrs. or more. So it may be you've got a slow maturing cat who is coming into his own and now is deciding he wants to be the boss in the house. Biting of the neck is usually a dominance behavior, and he's being sneaky about doing it while she's asleep! This is normal behavior for a male, even tho he's neutered. It's unfortunate that it's not fair match to Yoko with her being so small. Have you tried distracting him just before he goes after her with a wand toy or tossing a toy, or crinkling a ball of paper and throwing it. This is a phase he's in and hopefully will grow out of. Another thing you can try is clicker training or teaching him "to come" on demand, rather than throwing a toy to distract. Once he's latched on tho I think you're right to intervene if she hasn't the strength to fight him off herself. Give him a stern "bad boy!" and then immediately isolate him in another room for a time-out for about 15 mins. When he is behaving nicely near her, lavish praise on him and her and give treats. You want to change Leon's mind that being near her, good things happen, and if he's bullying her he's going to be deprived of your and her company for a while. Hope you can get this boy straightened around. Good luck!

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much! I was a bit worried that I shouldn't be interfering but it looked a bit vicious! We've been trying the isolation tactic and so far I think it might be working, either that or Leon's getting sneaker about it! Thanks a million =]

· Registered
131 Posts
I have the same problem with my seven month old, Peanut. Except he jumps on my older cat, Chinchilla's back and will bite her on the neck like he's trying to take her down. I have to scruff him and put him in time-out. I've been trying to distract him with a laser pen and sometimes it works, other times not so much. He usually attacks her when I'm out of sight and my fiance is around, but isn't watching him. It's like "when the mommy's away, the naughty baby will bite his adopted sister's neck" and we can't have that, being that Chinch is an old gal who hasn't been in the best health since she was 2.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
my 2-year-old kind of does the same thing with my 15-year-old. he primarily focuses on the 5-year-old, which is fine with me, but diotima is too old and arthiritic (and blind) to fend him off, so i always intervene.

maybe he does it when i'm not home, i don't have any idea but i can't just refuse to leave the house because houdini might decide to be houmeanie. i have a sharp outside voice, "no! naughty!" or "good gravy what is wrong with you?" (okay i would never say good gravy but you get the gist. lol)

it works though. i think they grow out of it. she still grooms both of them so i know they have the right main idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.