Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poor little Kai came to me with a case of cat flu, he is snuffling and sneezing (ALOT) and has very weepy eyes. The vet gave me antibiotics which he hates (he will sit still for me to get the drops into him once and only once. If i dont manage first time is a not very nice battle - the first day i got some nasty scratches) but obviously they arent going to help any viruses.
I was just wondering what things i should be looking for to make sure he isnt getting worse/anything else. He is still eating and drinking. He has a bit of a limp but from what i read that is pretty normal for someone with a nasty flu.

Poor little poppet I hope he gets better soon =(

·
Premium Member
9,121 Posts
Since he came from a shelter he most like has Upper Respiratory Infection. Like a cold, which settle in the eyes too.

If his little nose gets stuffed up put him in a kennel or bathroom and run a humidifier to loosen it up. When they cant smell, they tend to loose interest in food. Keep any eye on that.

Go back to your vet or RSPCA and ask them to demonstrate how to medicate a cat. There is a way you can scruff and cat which holds its head still so you can inject the liquid meds down its throat. There is an angle to use when injecting the syringe into the mouth also. That way it goes down the throat not into the lungs.

There might be a Utube video on how to medicate also.. seems I saw one a couple years ago.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
As long as he's still eating and drinking well, he'll probably fight off the infection on his own. When antibiotics are prescribed during a viral infection, their purpose is to avoid a secondary bacterial infection from taking hold. If Kai is experiencing a herpes infection (probably the most common of all feline upper respiratory infections - can affect both the respiratory system and the eyes), it can be very helpful to give L-lysine. L-lysine is an amino acid (available anywhere vitamins are sold) that inhibits the replication of the herpesvirus, making it easier for Kai's own immune system to effectively combat the infection. Whenever one of my cats has a herpes flare-up, I give him/her 500 mg of L-lysine a day (a 500 mg tablet crushed and mixed into canned cat food). For kittens, I give 250 mg daily. Even if Kai doesn't have herpes, the L-lysine won't hurt. I continue to give L-lysine as long as symptoms of illness are present.

If you don't have a humidifier, you can put Kai in a steamy bathroom for 15-30 mins twice a day to help drain his sinuses. This is particularly helpful if he loses his appetite. Cats won't generally eat what they can't smell, so if he becomes too congested to eat, give him a bathroom steam treatment immediately before feeding.

Laurie

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW, there is nothing about a URI that should be causing a limp. If the limp persists or worsens, you should take Kai back to your vet to have that checked.

Laurie
many websites I read about cat flu have stated that it causes muscle and joint pain causing a slight limp. But of course if it doesn't seem to get better soon I will be taking him to the vet.

On the plus side he does seem to be getting better, more lively and sneezing less and this evening he even seems less snotty. Unfortunately Dr. Stein seems to be getting a little worse... hopefully he doesnt get much worse or it will be off to the vet again and another new kitty grumpy with me twice a day :???:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree with Laurief. The "aches and pains" in a URI are usually related to fever. Limping on one leg may be something entirely different. If he's running a temp of more than 103 to 103.5, I would take him back to the vet. If his breathing becomes labored, rapid, panting, he starts refusing water for more than 6 hrs (4 if has temp) or food more than 36-48hrs. All to me, warrent a visit. Not all abx cover all diseases. GL B

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
update, we are all going back to the vet today because Dr. Stein has been getting worse so he needs some antibiotics as well, and Kai has been booked in too for a check up to make sure he is recovering ok. I will mention the limping but it does seem to have gone away.

I wish my poor boys would just feel better what a traumatic week they have had.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
The most common URI's, including herpes, are viral, so antibiotics won't do anything to cure them. Vets often prescribe antibiotics to try to avoid having the cat contract a secondary bacterial infection while fighting off the primary viral one.

Laurie

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The most common URI's, including herpes, are viral, so antibiotics won't do anything to cure them. Vets often prescribe antibiotics to try to avoid having the cat contract a secondary bacterial infection while fighting off the primary viral one.

Laurie
Yes I am aware of that but they said the vet might want them on antibiotics/more antibiotics or maybe they suspect kai has a secondary infection already. I guess I will find out when I get there. Personally I am against the use of antibiotics just in case, but I guess its because cats cant tell you that they are feeling worse or their symptoms have changed.

They both seem well, are social and active, and eating and drinking and toileting normally. Im not too stressed about them yet! I just want them to feel better

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, back from the vet, both boys are fine. Its probably not cat flu just a common rhinovirus cold or something like that, which is a relief. and no more antibiotics yay! Dr Boris said to just watch that there are no white/green/black/yellow discharges, and that they are eating/drinking properly etc.

I'm also pleased that they were so well behaved :grin: love my boys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.