Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fairly overweight cat. We've been trying to diet and it is FINALLY working (somewhat...) :catmilk

Currently he eats only wet food. I've started to add a bit of the dog's raw food mixed in - pieces of chicken, chopped up organ meats, etc., but he is not really interested in much of this. So, I'm not I'm not ready to go all raw right now, but would like something a little bit better than Nutro. (At least there's no corn in it!) Any recommendations on a good, not too pricy, brand of wet cat food would be much appreciated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,961 Posts
I'm on a tight budget and I really like the EVO 95% foods. The beef and the chicken are both pretty inexpensive. My cat can't eat chicken so he eats the beef flavor and occasionally the venison if I have a little extra money.

I've tried other foods and they are either to pricey for me or they contain ingredients he can't eat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Wellness comes in 13 oz cans (like EVO), and those tend to be cheaper. They have several grain free varieties. :)

Merrick Before Grain is a favorite of my cats - it's fairly inexpensive at my independent pet store ($1.09 for 5.5 oz) but not at Petco (about $1.60 for 5.5 oz). It's sometimes beneficial to shop around. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read that the Merrick BG was supposed to be fed as a supplement only (the wet food)? He gets UTI's with any dry food. I like the BG though.

Forgot to mention, the reason for feeding Nutro is that he only likes the chunks - small pieces. Does anyone know if Evo or Wellness has the small pieces, not the paste texture. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
801 Posts
Before Grain is a complete diet. Chicken and Quail have a hamburger like texture, Turkey is pate, I'm not sure about the other flavors.
Authority (Petsmart's brand) isn't grain-free, but it is Very low carb, even lower than Before Grain, aproximately 8.3% compared to BG's ~20%. It's only 75cents per 5.5oz can, but it is pate. (I thought my cat didn't like pate as well, but he thoroughly enjoys Authority.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
I read that the Merrick BG was supposed to be fed as a supplement only (the wet food)? He gets UTI's with any dry food. I like the BG though.
This USED to be true, when the formulas were designated as "100% chicken," "100% turkey," etc. Now they are 96%, which as far as I know means the remaining 4% is made up of the vitamins and minerals needed to constitute a complete diet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,945 Posts
Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? They have their own brand of canned food that got a good (not the highest, but good) nutrition rating by the experts here on the Forum . . . and it's only 59 cents a can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
The only thing I've figured out is trial and error. Buy a variety of foods within your budget and see what kitty likes :D My vet actually recommended Evo but it's kind of pricey so I picked up some Wellness that I know my cat likes too. However, both these brands are pate style! Mandy likes Trader Joe's too but it's also a pate.

I saw some Wellness pouches at the pet store yesterday, but didn't look at the price since my cat will only eat pate. This could be an option if they aren't out of your budget. Wellness Healthy Indulgence® Chicken & Chicken Liver Recipe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Gabby LOVES the BFF brand food. It's actual chunks of human grade food. The Tiki brand also has chunks. She'll eat the pate and the chunky stuff but as her human I greatly prefer the chunky stuff because it smells a whole lot better.

I echo what someone else said about shopping around. If you have a locally owned pet store check there first. My local pet store has much better prices than Petco. If you find a brand you really like you can often get a discount on buying a case of 12 or 24. I'm going to be doing this for Gabby's food when I'm done testing some varieties. In my experience if the can doesn't say it's 'chunky' then it's usually a pate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
I second Minka's suggestion. I recently (within the last couple of months) started feeding the Petsmart Authority brand foods as 1/3 to 1/2 of my cats' canned diet and they really like it. There are a few flavors that have the chunks with gravy texture instead of pate depending if your store carries those flavors.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top