Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you feed your cat ?

Buttons has recently stopped eating anything but Gourmet Perle food, which means I'm having to spend more on food, but you can't put a price on your fluffy friend!

She is 7 years and 1 month old now, so I guess she should be able to enjoy the second half of her life in style! :catmilk

·
Registered
802 Posts
I feed my cat mostly Before Grain, Innova, and Authority. He used to be picky, but I stopped giving in to his whines so now he eats everything.

Just to let you know though, Gourmet Perle is not a complete food, and can only be served alongside another food. If she does not eat other foods, she will most likely become taurine deficient which can lead to blindness, and heart failure.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Just to let you know though, Gourmet Perle is not a complete food, and can only be served alongside another food. If she does not eat other foods, she will most likely become taurine deficient which can lead to blindness, and heart failure.
Never fed this food myself as I've not heard of it, but they claim on their website it's a complete food (which doesn't necessarily mean it is, but now I'm curious). Could you provide more info on this? I'm wondering how a pretty well-known company like Purina is getting away with selling a food that doesn't meet AAFCO (or the UK equivalent as this seems to be a British brand?) standards.

Anyway, I feed my cats a combination of canned and raw. I've been doing a premade raw by Primal, although I'm trying to find other options now as I don't like using only one brand (and my cats are suddenly averse to it after liking it for over a year). The canned I rotate, usually between various flavors by Merrick, Evo, and Wellness. Sometimes some Weruva, Innova, or Blue Wilderness if I feel like it but those are pricier where I shop so I don't get them regularly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I rotate between Wellness, Merrick Before Grain, By Nature, Dave's Cat food, and occasionally throw in a Fancy Feast Classic. All are grain free. I'm thinking about buying some premade raw to see if my kittens like it.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
75% Frankenprey and 25% canned Weruva no grain chicken varieties only. I used to feed Orijen kibble about a year ago, but they've been off that for quite a spell.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Never fed this food myself as I've not heard of it, but they claim on their website it's a complete food (which doesn't necessarily mean it is, but now I'm curious). Could you provide more info on this? I'm wondering how a pretty well-known company like Purina is getting away with selling a food that doesn't meet AAFCO (or the UK equivalent as this seems to be a British brand?) standards.

Anyway, I feed my cats a combination of canned and raw. I've been doing a premade raw by Primal, although I'm trying to find other options now as I don't like using only one brand (and my cats are suddenly averse to it after liking it for over a year). The canned I rotate, usually between various flavors by Merrick, Evo, and Wellness. Sometimes some Weruva, Innova, or Blue Wilderness if I feel like it but those are pricier where I shop so I don't get them regularly.
I couldnt find stated anywhere on their website that it is a complete food, but when I look at the ingredients, it doesn't list anything beyond 'minerals', and when looked at one of the places it was being sold online, it says the food is only meant to be fed as a complement to your cats regular food.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I feed Wellness Core wet Chicken flavor, Merrick, Ziwipeak, and other Wellness grain free cans of food. I put about 5 pieces of dry food on top of her wet food, as well as some pumpkin in each meal (she gets fed three times a day).

The reason I put about 5 pieces of dry on her food is that she will not touch it if there isn't some dry in there. Crazy cat! ;)

·
Registered
978 Posts
I feed Wellness Indoor Health dry.

I plan on adding in wet food once or twice a day soon though. I'm more than likely going to go with the grain-free brands including Wellness.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hmmm, so I checked out Gourmet Perle on several different websites, all but one state that this is a complete cat food. Pets at Home are the only ones who say it's complementary.

They probably get away with not 'meeting' standards, as the UK has a terrible record in terms of pet food. Actual premium quality pet food is almost impossible to find, there just isn't the same level of interest in it over here.

I feed Animonda Carny 98% meat in pure beef. I buy it on www.zooplus.co.uk . Applaws is a great food choice too, and can be bought in Pets at Home, supermarkets and online. :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
When you looked at the can, did you check to make sure it has taurine? That's what I'm most worried about.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts