Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2 year old male cat has been urinating about every 2-5 minutes for the past 3 days...he has also been spending more than a normal amount of time grooming his genitles. I don't know what's wrong. He seems fine other than his frequent visits to the litter box. He has had a normal supply of water and has had his usual appetite. Nothing seems to have changed in his behavior at all except for that. Can anyone tell me what's wrong? I would like to know if there is anything that I can try before I spend hundreds of dollars for a vet bill. I love my cat but I'm a college student, on a college student's budget...so I would like to try any available alternative methods of treatment.

·
Registered
282 Posts
That behavior sounds like a Urinary Tract Infection, which does require a trip to the vet and medication. Maybe your vet will let you pay in installments?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I agree with the other poster. UTI's can be quite serious as well as painful....I would get to a vet as soon as you can.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It could be a UTI or it could be someting more serious.Since your cat is male and spending alot of time licking his genitals it could be a blockage of crystals in his urethra. This is potentially fatal. Please take your cat to a vet ASAP. I understand the $ situation is tight, but it could be his life. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies so far....

I'm not using crystal kitty litter, but rather that clay kind. Can that get stuck in his urethra too?

Also he's a neutered male if that makes any difference.

I'll be making an appointment for the vet regardless.

Thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
By crystals she meant mineral crystals not cat litter crystals. Sometimes minerals build up in the cats urinary tract and form crystals which can lead to a blockage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A rather interesting update...

I made an appointment for tuesday, however it seems that my cat is no longer going to the bathroom as frequently...he's back to his normal habits after i thoroughly cleaned and disinfected his litter box.

Is this evidence that all of this was just a false alarm or is it a sign of an imminent emergency?

Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts