Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I don't know if I have some very slight cat allergies or if it's just a normal thing. But every time I'm in close proximity to cats... especially petting them... the fur tickles my nose and face... those little fine furs that you can barely see or feel... I sneeze... cough... sniffle... I do a lot of nose-rubbing and hand-shaking trying to get them off me. Is this normal or am I hyper-sensitive to cat fur??

·
Registered
327 Posts
well one of my relatives has allergies to cats and he has about the same reactions..mainly the sneezing....does it only happen when they are close to you? or has it happened before without them being not nearyou?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Is this your cat or not? Maybe he's not brushed or just got up and the fur is in dissaray? You may have allergies, i don't so i can't tell you a reference point. I sleep with Marsh, in fact, he loves to sleep not at my feet but right on my pillows at night, and i sleep next to him with my face in his fur, and never had any kind of a reaction.

My brother is allergic to cats, and he 'KNOWS' when a cat is near him, his nose stuffs up and he starts to get watery eyes. He also got tests for it, i believe a test patch on his arm to which all types of allergens were applied to see which would cause a reaction, the strongest was cat, or course :(

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it happens a lot at work when I'm sweeping up... all the cat fur flying in the air, I have to keep rubbing my nose. I don't sneeze very much, it's mostly just... ticklish... I'm constantly rubbing my nose and wiggling it around.

It's my cat... but others too. I definitely need to brush him but the only brushes we have currently aren't very great. I'm sure that would help greatly. :)

If it IS allergies, it's not very bad at all, certainly not enough to keep me from owning them! :wink:

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I thought that if you were allergice to cats - you were ACTUALLY allergic to their saliva. I suppose since the cats groom themselves, this could cause the reaction, but I didn't actually think it was the fur.

I don't know why, but I swear that's what people are allergic to if they are allergic to cats.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Sounds like a normal thing to me.

Can't imagine someone not sniffling a little when sweeping up a bunch of cat hair! I lightly mist the air with water in a spray bottle before I sweep the wood and linoleum floors at home. It helps to settle the hair, and it also helps prevent the constant flyaways.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts