Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody use a gate to keep their cats from trying to get out the front door? My kitten has just discovered that the door leads to the outside and he's been hanging out down there a lot. He was a stray cat when he was just a baby so I don't know if he'd run away if he got outside. Any luck with gates?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've had a little success with gates. I have a 32" one I keep at the top of my stairs in the morning when I let all my ferals and strays in the kitchen to eat, and it keeps them from going downstairs, but with my house cats they'll just jump right over it.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Best bet is to train your cat to not want to go outside. Stomp your feet, spray water, etc.. once you keep doing that, they should learn. :lol:

·
Banned
410 Posts
I've been thinking of buying a gate to keep my cats out of the kitchen while I'm cooking. Kitty is horrible about laying in front of the sink waiting patiently for some food to fall from the sky. I end up stepping on him because my kitchen is kinda small. I feel really bad, but he refuses to leave! I was eating a brownie that had nuts on top of it and one of the nuts fell off onto the floor--actually, I think he caught the nut before it even hit the floor! :wink: He's such a piggy! Anyways, buying a gate might be a great idea for me!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the gate is tall, how do the cats jump over it? Aren't they afraid they can't judge the distance over the top to the ground?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sometimes my "door-darters" will line up in order to get outside whenever I open the front door. Then I will go in/out the back door, because it leads to the service room, which has an extra door to the remainder to the house. Cats will not automatically jump or attempt to go where they cannot see where they are headed. Therefore, a solid piece of cardboard, plywood, or some such, will usuallly discourage them from attempting to get outside.

·
Registered
283 Posts
:p Not my cats, they're fearless! Since they can see through the gate, they just go up and over effortlessly. Maybe they'd be a bit more cautious if they couldn't see through the gate!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts