Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening, I am worried about my older cat who is showing symptoms of blindness. Her pupils are very dilated and somewhat foggy, she is having trouble navigating the house (walking into walls), and she does not seem to follow objects in motion. Her pupils will shrink under bright light, but it seems to take way too long for her to finally blink and look away. She is slowly learning to cope with her situation, obviously not happy about it but doing her best, and I'm giving her lots of attention. My guess, from reading vet websites, is she has developed cataracts. Unfortunately, due to her age, I have no choice but to accept her health will decline with time - and, due to finances, I'm sadly choosing not to rush to save her vision and let life take its course.

What's really eating at me is how most websites suggest cataracts are a sign of deeper health concerns such as diabetes, high blood pressure, or other issues. Mostly, I would just like to know if anyone else has dealt with this situation, and ultimately what their cat was dealing with and how they handled it. I just want to make sure I'm prepared for whatever - if anything - happens next, and can react with her best interests at heart.

As much as anyone would be concerned for their cat, this one is affecting me deeply because my cat used to belong to my grandmother who passed some time ago. Whether it's blindness or more issues to come, my number one goal is making sure my girl has lots of love.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, this is my first post here. I totally understand your concerns. We currently have two blind kitties living in our house. My first blind kitty Was blind ever since we adopted him 8 years ago. Not sure why he is blind but it’s not cataracts. He has no idea he’s blind, and people who come to our house for the first time don’t know he’s blind until we tell them because he gets around so well. He runs around, jumps on furniture, climbs cat trees, etc. Our other cat was a “hospice” adoption from our local Humane Society this past summer. He’s estimated to be about 17, blind and mostly deaf. He doesn’t get around as well, and because of this, has his own area of the house. He likely is recently blind and appears to have cataracts. Nonetheless, he has no trouble finding his food, water or litter boxes.

So, regarding your blind kitty, I would (if feasible) have a vet evaluate her to make sure there are no other health concerns. But, if she’s simply losing her eyesight, she can still have a happy life. Just continue to give her love and make her comfortable. Cats adjust very well to the loss of eyesight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We had a 12 yo cat who lost his site due to undiagnosed histoplasmosis. After going blind he then had to have both eyes removed due to fluid build up and pain. He passed this past summer due to a reoccurrence of the histoplasmosis. Most people did not even realize that he was blind. Saw him one time jump straight up in the air and nab a fly which our sighted cats don’t do. He would no longer try to jump on counters or the bathroom sink he loved to drink out of but he learned to get on the sink by jumping onto toilet lid, then the tank and then stepping over to the sink. I taught him to do it by tapping on where he needed to go and calling him. Even moving furniture did not confuse him and I have seen him maneuver his way through a room where I had a closet cleaned out and all over the floor without touching a thing. His other senses became so so sharp it was simply amazing. He would sit and follow my husbands hand movements like he could see them he could sense the air moving so much. In the beginning we felt sorry for him and would follow him around worrying about him etc etc and then I realized he had been blind for awhile and we never realized it so what were we doing? I’d just encourage your buddy to continue to enjoy his life and give him love and support and you may be surprised by how quickly he adjusts. We do have another cat who has a cataract on one eye he is blind in due to a tumor removal. We just need to watch the eye to make sure his pressure doesn’t build up but nothing else. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts