Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Emma, our new 8 month old cat, has started nibbling on house plants.

I was thinking of getting some cat grass, both to distract her from other plants and because many cats seem to like it (based on posts here and elsewhere).

From what I can tell, the only real alternatives to stop cats from eating plants are aversion - squirt water, make noise, put citrus on plants (or put plants somewhere she can't get to them, which is not a preferred alternative), etc.

The downsides from cat grass may be vomiting or diarrhea

If cat grass is a good idea, what should I buy?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
They sell cat grass in petstore. I think those are wheat and/or oat grass, so you should be able to buy them somewhere else. Cat grass shouldn't cause vomiting or diarrhea, actually it helps cats to digest hairball and, hence, less vomiting. I have one pot, but my cats have problem eating it. The leaves are too thin and they slip through my cats teeth. I have to cut them and mix into their food from time to time :/

I haven't figure out a way of preventing cats eating plants. We had two pots of very expensive (but fragile I guess) orchid, and they both died because my cats ate the leaves. Right now we just have one pot hanging on the ceiling. Cats and plants just don't coexists IMO :D

·
Registered
435 Posts
Cat grass; and squirrels

Ritz loves cat grass, always has, and I have it out for her 24x7. Sometimes she vomits some cat grass (and sometimes she poops it). I think it helps her with hairballs.
FYI: after your cat has eaten/chewed the top and before you're ready to throw it away, put it out where the squirrels can get it. My friend (who rescued Ritz) has a pet squirrel which she keeps in a huge cage, and we found out "Buffy" loves loves to dig in and eat the roots of the cat grass.

·
Registered
435 Posts
PS: I buy it at PetCo/PetSmart. You can also grow it yourself using kits then sell in most supermarkets or online. Relatively easy for someone like me who has a purple thumb. I grow it during the summer, and buy it during the cooler/cold months.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I like PetGrass Self-Grow kit, seeds are organic, but you must be able to germinate the seeds outside, lots of sunlight, in relatively warm weather. PetGrass Self Grow kit is available at higher end pet stores. It grow right in the bag.
Also, there is a brand called "Vita" cat grass, which you must be able to germinate in the dark, and then you can move into sunlight. My furnace is in a utility shed on my balcony, so I've been able to germinate and grow cat grass using this method. Vita is more widely available.
I live in a condo, and all my windows face east, but I've had success using both brands, depending on the weather outside. (I live in Maryland, near Washington, DC.)
Ready to use cat grass is about twice as expensive as the growing kits.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
You can also grow fresh catnip, if you can get your hands on some seeds. You will need to keep the seedlings out of your cat's way until the plant gets large enough to survive your cat's "harvest".

Laurie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.