Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else bought Cat Grass for their cats before? If so how did they react to it?

For those of you who have never heard of it, Cat Grass is something that's sold at pet shops. You buy it as a white plastic tray that's filled with soil. You're only supposed to put so much water in it, leave it in moderate sunlight and in three days you have grass that's five inches tall and if safe for your cats to eat.

I really thought my cats were going to react differently to the grass than they did. They really didn't pay any attention to it except for Mitzi who loves to eat grass outside when she can sneak out. She ate quite a bit of it. Xavier used to just pull the grass out of the tray and scatter soil everywhere. Unfortunatly Mitzi knocked over the tray and the grass wound up dying after that. I think she was pretty disapointed in herself. :)

I think I paid maybe four dollars for it and Mitzi enjoyed herself so it wasn't a waste. I think they liked it more when it was just the soil. :roll: I had just thought by what the packaging said it was supposed to have the same effect as cat nip... :?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I think cat grass is meant for indoor cats who won't have access to a lawn, so they need grass grown in a tray. It's important for cats to eat grass as it helps them bring up furballs.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Really? Even short-haired cats? I guess I'll have to get some for Misty. I don't know if she would eat it though, she doesn't like catnip at all!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I think so, yeah. But I'm a bit confused because my cat (who can go outside) eats grass all the time but hardly ever gets furballs. Plus, he is half Persian so you would expect him to get lots. Maybe he just eats grass for fun?! I wouldn't be surprised, we got him a catnip plant and that lasted about five minutes before he ate it :lol:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
None of my cats ever seem to have hairball problems including the Persian. Only on rare occations will I find one but they seem to pass them just fine.

I only bought the grass because I thought it had cat nip like qualities and the package said it drives cats crazy. :roll: I also got it as in hopes that they would stop eating my other plants(which are nontoxic to cats but I hate finding the pots tipped over and leaves half chewed) and eat the grass.

I guess they were on to me. LOL

·
Registered
365 Posts
I got it for my cats and they weren't as interested as I thought they would be. They do eat the catnip I put down for them every so often.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Samhain goes nuts for the grass. We can't leave it out or she will eat the whole thing. I buy the seeds and grow it myself. If we even go near the pot she will scream and whine. We give her small bunches probably twice a day. She can't get enough of it. The kitten hasn't got any yet. I think Samhain likes that it is HER treat only. I also think cats have to have reached sexual maturity to react to catnip. Psi doesn't like it right now either. Samhain eats that stuff up too.

tanyuh

·
Registered
179 Posts
We used to have a Norwegian Forest Cat that would have a hairball everyday. We felt so bad for him because we could hear him making that hacking noise that sounded like a goose in another room. We tried everything, but that double layer of fur was just too much I guess

·
Registered
75 Posts
my three-year-old, mabel, who is an inside cat LOVES the cat grass! i bought it a few weeks ago for her because she eats grass non-stop when we go outside on her leash. i don't think she eats it for furballs, cause she dosen't get them (oddly enough. her fur is super long.)

i bought it in temporary form: they're almost like bean sprouts... and she's eaten through three packages of it, so i bought an actual plant and she is killing it because she loves it too hard!

:lol:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes I have grown cat grass and none of my cats had no reaction to the cat grass. They wouldn't eat it. It was expensive too!! Now I know never to buy it again. But they like eating my spider plants and that is harder on the stomach.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts