Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not quite a recipe, but bear with me: any experiences with cat grass? My cat has pica and I am desperately trying to redirect this self-destructive eating behavior to something non-offensive.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Our cats love cat grass. It helps to keep them from trying to chew on my houseplants, and I believe it can be used as a hairball preventative.
Just watch that kitty doesn't eat a lot all at once, or it may cause him to vomit.

Cat grass is usually grown from wheat or oat seed which is thicker and has a better flavor than regular grass seed. And it is much more economical to buy it by the lb from a feed store, than it is to buy it in tiny packets from a garden center.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Please be careful about buying seed by weight.

Make sure that it's seed that's intended for animal feed... and ask if it's been treated.
You may not want to have your cats eating antibiotics unnecessarily.

Seed for sowing has probably been treated with fungicides and other chemicals that aren't so great for your cat!

Those little packs of 'cat grass' seeds from the pet store are organic and untreated... and safe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you don't wanna know....

Vanessatx said:
what is pica?
Count yourself lucky that you don't know. Basically, it's the compulsion (as in OCD-- can't be controlled) to eat inedible things. For most cats with this condition, wool is their fixation, which is an annoyance to the owner of wool sweaters and furniture/rugs. For my special baby, it's rubber. Which means five surgeries at the age of three, despite my vigilant (some would say obsessive) efforts to banish rubber items from my home ;-) I'm desperate for anything to distract him from this self-destructive behavior.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks!

I will check with feed stores, though to be honest, in Brooklyn where I live, it's just a whole lot easier to go to the little garden store down the street-- at least to see how it goes at first. Thanks!

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
I've read your other thread, but I just thought of something, so I'm throwing it in here, 'cuz I'm too lazy to go look for the other. :roll: Anyway, lately I've been experimenting with feeding my cats small dog treats, so they can get some decent tooth-crunching chewing. Their regular food is a combo of wet & dry, and the dry kibble is too small to need chewing. I was just thinking maybe you might like to try the same with your cat, to see if it satisfies his need to chew. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have 2 cats, Rainbow and Midnight, and they absolutely love cat grass! I grow some for them and it grows really fast and that is why I like cat grass too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts