Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I don't really know whether this is in the right section, but I suppose it's kind of health related?

My cat, Lola, is a medium-long haired black cat (pictured below), and I currently use a soft bristle brush to groom her. I don't think it's doing the job so well as I'm always having to remove cat fur from everything! I'm looking for a grooming product that can get rid of the deep down soft underfur as well as the coarser top fur.

I've been looking at slickers and mitts as possible solutions but have seen conflicting reviews...

I was wondering whether anybody had any recommendations for grooming a medium-long haired cat?

Thanks in advance,

Jack.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Pretty cat, Jack!

I just adopted a new kitty (came yesterday) and I've read on here that Zoom Groom is pretty recommended.

My is a DSH, however, so I wonder if it will still do the job, or if I need a finder-toothed brush/comb.

I'll await responses to your question. Thanks for asking it!

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
I use a comb called a "Untangler" the tines rotate which makes it easier to get through the thick fur of medium and long haired cat.
My Maine **** Cat loved to be combed and we had a regular grooming session nightly before bedtime.
What ever you use you want your cat to like being groomed, because if you can comb or brush off the loose fur it won't end up on your furniture.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Miu is a med-long haired tabby. I used to use a slicker brush. Which was okay, but then after I found a deshedder type brush. Oh my god. The thing works wonders, especially on her tail. I was shocked with the amount of hair the deshedder was brushing off. Imagine her ingesting all of that. No wonder she was getting hairballs despite me brushing with a slicker.

You may have seen it marketed as the Furminator. I got a Furminator wannabe from Walmart which cost way less. Anyways, here's a link for a Furminator just for reference.

Amazon.com: FURminator Large Yellow deShedding Tool with 4-Inch Edge: Home & Garden

·
Super Moderator
26,810 Posts
I LOVE this comb!

·
Super Moderator
26,810 Posts
All my cats hated the Furminator, so I gave it to my Mom - her cat loves it.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I bought the Furminator, big bucks, don't use it because I think I can hear it pulling the healthy hairs out. My vet feels the same way. I use a big slicker brush, we all love it.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
the best comb/brush I use came free with feline pine litter, looks like a green hocky puck with brisles/tines, they retract so it can be cleaned, they flex and the puck sized area distributes any pressure (not like a comb) it gets and collects the loose fur, plus the cats love it,, running my hand across the tines is known as the tammi call(she comes running) I think you can still send for these for a few feline-pine points cut from the bag(have to get some more)

·
Registered
978 Posts
I just use a cheap brush I found at a dollar store.

On the dog, I use a sticky lint roller. I don't know if your cat would tolerate it but he seems to enjoy it and it removes tons of loose hair.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your messages. I think I'll start with a slicker and see how that goes. I'll definately check out the Furminator thread YingYing, thanks again.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I agree with Marie, we use that comb as well.

I might add though that diet and shedding tend to run hand in hand, the better quality diet the less shedding.

Leslie

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
That may explain why since I switched to Orijen dry food, my slicker brush comes out clean... But it's also the non-shedding season now, so I don't know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts