Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. About a year ago I found a kitten on a walking trail in the middle of the country. We hadn't gotten her fixed yet, but she got let outside a while ago. We'd noticed her getting larger but weren't sure if she was just gaining weight or if she was pregnant. Apparently she was pregnant, as I found her babies today. I hadn't really seen her for the past two days, though I was sure she was inside somewhere. I finally saw her today drinking in the kitchen, much smaller than she had been. She had a bit of blood on her behind and seemed very tired. She led me to the kittens after a bit. There are three of them, and they seem to be okay. However two of the three have no umbilical cords and seem more active. The larger one still has an umbilical cord and seems less active than the other two. Is it possible that the two with no cords were born before the third kit? The mom seems active and attentive to them, so I'm not terribly worried, just curious about the cord. Other than giving mom kitten food, is there anything I should be doing for her? She's in a lower traffic area that is a bit darker. We plan to have her fixed as soon as possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
Stanley (aka lanky teenager) Alfie (aka terror of the house) Smudge (aka first of many, RIP)
101 Posts
Its is possible the third kit was born last. As long as all are suckling, don't worry too much just yet. There is always the possibility that mum has another baby stuck inside her, so monitor her closely to make sure she isn't having snymore contractions.

It might even be a good idea to talk to a vet about signs that something is wrong with mumma cat, just to be on the safe side.

I also wouldn't recommend getting her fixed until her milk has dried up. By then the kittens should be self sufficient. Do you have any plans for the babies?

Also don't go walking any where in the dark, and check you know where all the kittens are before moving furniture. Mother cats like to transport their babies and you could find them far from where you though they were.

Congratulations and best of luck!

·
Registered
Phoenix, Tiger & Crackhead!!!
225 Posts
Yes, and be careful with mechanized recliners and whatnot, don't want the kittens caught in that hidden machinery... I have a nice motorized (electric) leather sofa in my home theater, and I always operate it in very short bursts just in case one of the cats has crawled under the couch. Those metal arms under there could do a lot of damage in a short period of time... good advice from StanAndAlf!

P.S. Cool cat!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its is possible the third kit was born last.
Thank you! I planned on waiting for the babys to be weaned before fixing her as I wasn't sure how soon she could be fixed after kitting. I've been watching her (because who dosent like babys :)) and she's been feeding them and resting with them. We may be keeping all the kittens, but if not I'll be finding them homes through a re-homing group I'm in. She doesn't seem to be too distressed, but I'll keep watching her.

·
Registered
Phoenix, Tiger & Crackhead!!!
225 Posts
Haha, I like those names... but then again, I've lived by the southern U.S. border for most of my life, lol. Reminds me of that song intro, I think it's from 'The Bird Is The Word': "UNO, DOS... UNO, DOS, TRES, CUATRO!" Great old song, I forget who did it, but it's a good one, lol. We used to crank it at the surf shop in Coronado whenever it came on the radio...

As for the recliners, I learned about that danger when I first bought the sofa, and a cat came flying out from under it as I activated the switch. No harm, no foul, but it was an eye-opener, ya know? Anyway, it was another scorcher today, I feel sorry for those poor slobs at lower elevation. Meh, this is the high desert, at least we have a breeze... Cheers!!!

Edit: Turns out the song was titled 'Bird Is The Word' by The Trashmen, but I listened to a video and didn't hear the count, so maybe I'm having a "senior moment" and it's in another song, or else it's in some extended version of this song. I distinctly recall the count, but maybe I have the wrong tune, lol... probably wouldn't be the first time, might not be the last.

Edit #2: Okay, I think I have it now, that count begins at the start of 'Wooly Bully'---now HOW on earth could I have forgotten THAT? Lol... meh, I'll leave my mistakes up as proof that nobody is infallible. I reckon I've been living too far from the beach for too long, aye? But I DO like this laid-back high desert lifestyle, it's not bad... could be my memory is slipping, too many brain cells killed over the years.

Edit #3: Oh, yeah, BTW, we used to crank BOTH of those songs whenever they came on the air, lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More baby pictures! The biggest (middle pic) has opened his eyes a tiny bit! These guys have huge paws for some reason, or maybe they're just big baby paws I'm not sure. Is there any way to tell if they'll have long fur? The only male cat I've seen around here has longggg fur (He's very large and looks like a maine **** mix), and the babys seem very fluffy.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
More baby pics!! They grow sooo fast. In order from biggest to smallest (Dark grey, Light grey, white marked). Also, I don't usually hold them like this, I was trying to show how big they are :)

And a pic with Uno!

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts