Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 house cats that shed like crazy. I seriously can not go to bed and get up with out being covered in cat hair and I can't get the cat hair off my sheets/blankets/curtains ect. It's insane! Is there anything I can give my cats to reduce the shedding?

They are already on an ultra premium feed. (Natural Balance; indoor formula)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I quit grooming because I couldn't find a brush that works? Any recommendations? I got tired of wasting money on stuff that wouldn't work.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Dead serious...... I am a finicky home owner with three, large, long haired indoor only male cats, and one outdoor only long haired tortie female . Two of the males are white with huge coats, the other male is a black and white tuxedo. I know hair.

A Zoom Groom and a grey hound comb. Go over them with the Zoom Groom until the large wads of hair slows down, and then finish with the fine toothed side of a greyhound comb.

I came to this after A LOT of experimentation and research about cat grooming. It works very well for me.

Others will mention a furminator, which I highly disapprove of, but many like it. That is another option.

Grooming is truly the only way to get it under control. I wish there were a pill, or a magic elixir, but there isn't any other healthy alternative that works. If there were, I would use that and the Zoom Groom. :D

p.s. Get a Dyson. It's worth it.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I was using a slicker brush on Io since we got her but something happened last week. She now hates it, and will seek it out to knock it down and hiss at it and attack it. I wonder if she accidentally bit it or stepped on it and that's why she hates it now? :/

Guess I'm in the market for a zoom groom now. My partner has begun to put his foot down on the "cat things" budget. Not that I blame him, it's my own fault, but now there's hair everywhere. I can't even colour coordinate to minimize it because each of her hairs is stripy.

·
Registered
683 Posts
A Zoom Groom and a grey hound comb. Go over them with the Zoom Groom until the large wads of hair slows down, and then finish with the fine toothed side of a greyhound comb.

I came to this after A LOT of experimentation and research about cat grooming. It works very well for me.

Others will mention a furminator, which I highly disapprove of, but many like it. That is another option.

Grooming is truly the only way to get it under control. I wish there were a pill, or a magic elixir, but there isn't any other healthy alternative that works. If there were, I would use that and the Zoom Groom. :D

p.s. Get a Dyson. It's worth it.
This. I agree 100%. And I also highly disapprove of the furminator.
And the Dyson, I wish I could get one in my country!

·
Registered
518 Posts
I love my dyson. I can't say enough good things about it. Otherwise I have nothing to add...

Arianwen, the furminator is a brush/comb thing. I think it is supposed to be an undercoat rake for double coated dogs. I got one for my sheltie but I feel like it breaks the coat. I just use a normal undercoat rake on him.

·
Registered
823 Posts
What is a furminator?
Furminators look like this:

Zoom Grooms (yes, the kong brand) look like this:

The zoom groom looks like a gimmicky waste of money. I totally would have thought they were a joke until I was educated else where about how well they gently remove hair. Especially from cats with delicate, silky coats. But, this thing works wonders on my Siberian Husky, too, who puts out double the hair of ALL MY CATS COMBINED.

DISCLAIMER: I don't work for Kong, I don't sell Zoom Grooms, I don't own a pet store. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my kids, and this is what I use on all of them, who all have long plush coats.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you wanted to raw feed, I think you'd find that your cats would shed much less.
My kittens are completely raw fed. I groom them every once in a while, and get barely any hair off of them. My older cat sheds much more, and is on a mixture of raw, canned, and kibble. Other people I've talked to have had the same results!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ok on GhostTown's word I went and got the zoom groom. What's another comb, it's only $9...

Just used it on Kisa and she is in heaven - loves it. I combed her yesterday with the furminator and got lots out, this thing pulled out at least another half a cat worth of fur. I am impressed. She even chirped at me to not stop and let me do her stomach - that's NEVER happened before.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you wanted to raw feed, I think you'd find that your cats would shed much less.
My kittens are completely raw fed. I groom them every once in a while, and get barely any hair off of them. My older cat sheds much more, and is on a mixture of raw, canned, and kibble. Other people I've talked to have had the same results!
I have done the raw diet with one of my cats due to food allergies. I finally found a feed that doesn't cause her to break out, the dry food is the best for us, right now. I had to always separate her and when I did I had to feed the other cats...it was just too much of a pain to feed her raw and the other two regular feed....my other to are extremely picky cats. They will not eat ANYTHING but their cat food....they won't eat canned, raw, cooked, nothing. I have never seen a cat turn down canned food....or even a bite of tuna or a bite of people food....those two would starve before they would try anything other then their dry food and I even tried to mix it slowly. If their dry food had any wet food with it, even if it was the smallest amount possible they would walk away. I really thought they would give in after a couple missed meals but they didn't.

Weird cats. LOL

Thanks for all the replies. Local pet store didn't have the zoom groom so I'm going to have to order it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Why is that? Just curious (I have a low shedding breed that doesn't require any grooming) but only hear people rave about the furminator for shedding cats.

·
Registered
823 Posts
It is destructive on coats with finely textured, medium to long hair. The V grooves between the teeth are sharp enough to actually cut hair that needs to be left behind. I've done it to my own cats with the purple one pictured above. Now, dweamgoil owns that one, as I sent it to her.

Most people disagree with me though, so take my word based on that. It's a fact that it cuts hair though, not just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I don't have long haired cats, but I can see why it would be a problem for their coats with the furminator. I have a Balinese and her hair is so fine, I don't use it on her. A fine tooth metal comb works best on her. Her coat is so delicate, even the slicker brush is way too harsh for her.

On the other 3 cats, which are all either short or medium haired, the furminator works great. The medium haired cat has a very thick coat. The furminator has greatly reduced the amount of tumbleweeds all over the house.

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
Bottom line is you have to vaccum every day. Plus brush your kitties. Its the vaccuming that will rid your room of cat hair. No way around it.

Im a beleiver in Meile vaccumes.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I have to agree with the vacuuming. Summer time = shedding at my house. I use sheets over the sofas and across the bed to catch the hair where they sleep most often. Pillowcases on other spaces they tend to snooze. I change them religiously and vacuum twice a week. That plus brushing every few days keeps it under control.

Clean brush clean brush clean brush. Only way around it, imo.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
I don't have longhaired cats now, but did for many years, and found that during shedding season---spring thro summer---I had to groom every day. With my cats I found a steel comb worked fine. ime, white cats often have "loose coats" and can drop hair year round. I also had a shorthair cream cat that was the same, never could pet her without getting a lot of hair. Sometimes may be diet related, but often it's just genetics. Sheets are good to keep hair off furniture and save a lot of vaccuming and cleaning of furniture, and easy to whip off if you're expecting guests. Even my Devons shed a little this time of year, but nothing compared to my LH cats I had.

·
Registered
252 Posts
How does the Zoom Groom compare to the Love Glove? I understand the rubber bristles are bigger on the Zoom Groom, but does it work similarly? Josie's not a big fan of grooming so I'd like to find something that she enjoys. I thought the Love Glove would do the trick but she doesn't like it any more than the comb.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts