Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use a harness? Does anyone recommend a certain brand or style? I'm thinking about getting Gracie a harness because she wants to go out so bad. She snuck out the other day and it scared the crap out of me, so I'm trying to find a way to let her out for a while each day but still keep her safe.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
All three of mine walk on harnesses. The brand doesn't really matter as long as they are quite snug - can only fit 2-3 fingers underneath. Otherwise they can pull themselves out of the harness. At first, she will probably just flop over on her side or walk really low to the ground because the harness feels strange. If you put it on her often, though, she should get used to it.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I don't see a huge difference in brand, as long is it's made from a good material like nylon. Mine is supposed to be for small dogs.

Another good way to get her used to it is to put it on around the house for a bit.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I went to Petco, but there are so many styles to choose from! There's one that are a harness and lead in one, there's figure 8 harnesses, there's h-style harnesses, there's harnesses with chest straps-waht works best? I don't want her to be able to slip out of the harness and get away!

·
Registered
88 Posts
we didn't have any luck w/the figure 8 ones. First, we humans could barely figure it out,then Peanut pulled a houdini and was out of it in a second! We have a diff style now, I think it's an H with nice snaps (belt buckles take too long on squirming bodies) and it works well.

Peanut is a bolter too, she loves that sunshine!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our cats do well with harnesses from Petsmart

Once they associated putting on the harness with going outside, they became almost eager to have them put on. One cat really dislikes the removal as it slides over his head though. But he manages. Years ago we had a harness for another cat (my dearest and departed Claudia) that had buckles like a belt. Now that was a nightmare to get on and I don't know if they still sell them like that. The ones we have now use plastic buckles that plug together easily.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts