Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my cat Romeo appears to have forgotten where his litter box is. He is 8 years old and I’ve had him for 6 of those years, he’s always used his litter box but has at times peed on clothing/fabric left on the floor. In the past week he has appeared to have forgotten where the litter box is (it’s been in the same place for over a year now). There hasn’t been any change in the type of litter or any changes at home. But randomly he will be crying around and once placed in the litter box he will go pee. He does still use the litter box on his own some of the time. He isn’t going any more frequently or straining when he goes so I’m doubtful that it’s a uti, especially since his diet is mainly wet food. We are going to try bringing the litter box down to the main floor to see if that helps but thought I would try here to see if anyone has any other advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If it's not a UTI, I don't know what it could be. Where is his favorite place to stay? Maybe you could move it there. Or where his food bowl is. How is his eye sight?

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
If he doesn't have an UTI, and it doesn't sound like he does, he may benefit from some changes. First of all, don't leave any clothes/material on the floor, put it away or in a laundry basket off the floor. He needs at least 1 or 2 other litter boxes, and don't have them all together but in different quiet-traffic places throughout your residence . Get some Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter, or at the least the deterrent spray to put on your own litter. Amazon and perhaps other pet stores carry it. I've had good results with this litter.. Hopefully these changes will get him using the litter boxes again, I don't think he's old enough to be getting feline dementia, which can happen with some senior cats, say over 11-12 yrs.
All the best!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's not a UTI, I don't know what it could be. Where is his favorite place to stay? Maybe you could move it there. Or where his food bowl is. How is his eye sight?
we are going to try moving it to the main floor where he spends more of his time. It’s just strange cause he does use the box on his own sometimes but other times he is wandering around crying and when placed in the box he will use it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ catloverami
no I don’t believe it’s a UTI either, we try our best not to leave anything on the floor but at Christmas he peed on the tree skirt and one other time since then he’s peed on a table cloth. I’m more concerned with the fact that he seems to ‘forget’ where it is sometimes. Sometimes he uses it and other times he wanders around crying until placed in the box and then he will use it. This is why I don’t think it’s a problem with the litter either. I’ve used the same litter for the past 6 years and he’s never had an issue with it.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Oops! my boo boo!: "or at the least the deterrent spray" should have been attractant spray !
What you're describing does sound like it might be feline dementia tho.....had a 15 y.o. spay female act in similar fashion to what your boy is doing.. She'd also go into another room and meow her head off, as if lost and couldn't figure out where to go, and did also a lot of meowing at night which she never did before..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha yes I figured that’s what you meant. I hope it’s not as that would be so sad :( he’s still young. Will keep everyone updated on how he is doing in the next few days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts