Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i think rocky has a bit of a cold, he now sneezes once in awhile, not too often...i got some antibiotics from when he was sick last time,,,would it be okay to give him the antibiotics,,,,,they would not hurt him, would they? i take him out for nightly walks, sometimes i think he picked up an allergy to something

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
antibiotics need to be given over a course of a certain dose and time period..(usaully prescribed in an amount that needs to be completely used) not adhearing to this can cause things like resistant bacteria strains.. always consult a vet for antibiotic use.. also if its a virus or allergy the antibiotics won't help..

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Yeah, as Tghsmith said..... If the vet gave you antibiotics when kitty was sick last time there shouldn't be any leftover. Finishing the course is important so that any lingering germs don't become resistant to the antibiotics.

If these are 'leftover' chances are good they are either past their expiration date and/or won't be a full course as they should be.

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
In addition, most vets would not recommend going right to antibiotics for a little sneezing. I would try some l-lysine first, if it's a herpes flare up (most common cause of cat colds)...it can help nip it in the bud.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts