Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Thanks for all your help with my previous question. I have decided to adopt little Misty. Turns out, the adoption place took her out of the store she was in because the poor thing has a cold! (I DID notice her sneezing). They said they will hold her for a week and see if she gets better and if not, get her on antibiotics.

I've been reading up on cat UTIs. Is this serious? The rescue just emailed and I think they will let me have her if I have no other cats. Well, I don't...but I do have a dog.

1) Can cats give their colds to dogs?
2) How serious is this? Should I get her to a vet or are cat colds like human colds?

Thanks ever so much!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Awww, I'm sorry Misty has a cold. Poor little girl. But on the plus side it should run its course in a couple weeks & everything will be fine. Sometimes they do give them antibiotics just depends on how bad the cold gets. I have had cats that have had to have antibiotics because their nose would get so clogged. If a cat cant smell it wont eat. But Misty's cold is not contagious to you or the dog. So you should be fine bringing her home,although if you have friends that have cats let them know.If they do handle Misty they must change clothes & wash hands before handling their own cats because it is highly contagious to other cats. Also as this is your first cat please do not give her any human meds without asking a vet first,because unlike a dog cats livers do not break down meds and 1 little aspirin can actually kill her.But bring the girl home and dont worry she should recover in a short time

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thank you so much for the thorough response Momoes Mom!!! :) And for your sweetness...the rescue actually told me they were surprised I still wanted her, because sometimes when cats get sick in rescue, their potential adopters lose interest and choose another cat. Can you believe that??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you mean a UTI as in a urinary tract infection or a URI (upper respitory infection)?

We adopted a kitten with an upper respitory infection from the shelter. It is common in shelters. I physically brought her to her food so she would eat a few times. We also boiled water for the humidity (or you could use a humidifier). I've heard that warming up the food helps them smell it too.

If it is a URI, ask your vet about giving the cat Lysine in her food. This seemed to help our kitten.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Congrats on the new addition to the family! URIs are very common unfortunately, so it's nothing serious. I agree she'll be over the cold soon enough, but be sure to read all you can about cat care in the meantime. Some things that should be common sense about them are NOT common at all. Have fun with misty!

And yes it's crazy that people would pass on a kitty with just a cold. that is just nuts!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I myself find it crazy that ppl would pass over an animal with a cold. To me thats the same as goin to an orphanage & passin up a child with a cold! But for whatever reason they do & maybe its better for the animal. It is stressful & sadens us when our children are sick &maybe thats to much for them 2 handle as a new parent. I remember rescueing a cat once, he was so "dirty" so I took him home & cleaned him up.Next mornin he was "dirty" again I took him to the vet & that same cat had been seen a week before & its owners had been informed to put the cat down because he was dieing of cancer & to put him down "humanely" & end his suffering.Instead he was tossed out like trash by my house.I dont know if the owners knew I worked @ a vet & thought I could help or what but instead of dieing with his family he died in my arms

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I remember rescueing a cat once, he was so "dirty" so I took him home & cleaned him up.Next mornin he was "dirty" again I took him to the vet & that same cat had been seen a week before & its owners had been informed to put the cat down because he was dieing of cancer & to put him down "humanely" & end his suffering.Instead he was tossed out like trash by my house.I dont know if the owners knew I worked @ a vet & thought I could help or what but instead of dieing with his family he died in my arms
unbelievable the cruelty and ignorance of some people. :-x

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay...apparently she is a herpes carrier. what does this mean? is this a lifetime full of expensive vet bills everytime she has a flareup?

I still want her, please don't get me wrong ... but I need to be prepared. Anyone have experience with a car with feline herpes? Is that even a thing??? What does this mean for her future? Can she give it to my neighbours cat if she pets misty and then goes back to her cat?

worried...

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I would dare say that ALL of us have experience with feline herpes, even if we're not aware of it. I have read that more than 95% of domestic cats carry herpesvirus. So if you're looking for a pet without herpes, get a dog.

Once infected with herpes, a cat will have it for life. In most cats, herpes remains dormant most or all of the time. Flare-ups can occur when a cat is stressed, immuno-compromised in some way, or comes into direct contact with another cat having an active flare-up.

Herpes flare-ups aren't generally a big deal. They typically cause nasal congestion and/or eye infections. Systemic antibiotics don't help, since it is a viral disease, but they are often given, anyway, to prevent a secondary bacterial infection from occurring. L-lysine can be helpful, as it inhibits herpesvirus's ability to replicate, making it easier for the cat's immune system to beat it back into remission. A steamy bathroom can help drain stuffy sinuses. Eye antibiotics can take care of any eye infections.

If your neighbor handles the kitten while the kitten is experiencing an active flare-up, I would assume that she could transmit it to her own cat, but her own act has almost certainly already been exposed to herpes. Still, a few simple precautions like washing hands and changing clothes before handling her own cat should suffice to prevent a flare-up in her household.

If you feed the kitten a healthy diet to keep her immune system strong and keep her well loved and happy, she may never have another herpes flare-up. Or maybe she will. Either way, herpes certainly isn't a deal-breaker for cat owners. If it were, there wouldn't be any cat owners!

Laurie

·
Registered
26 Posts
My cat just went through a month of ****.

They thought she had an URI turns out it was a huge polyp mass in her throat.

URI would of been easier. Bring her in ASAP so she/he can start anti biotics. She may need 1 round or 2 they can be tricky to get rid of apparently.

I would bring my kitten in the bathroom with me when we showered to try to de congest her.
Her first treatment cost about $150 we had to go back for more and it was another $150

The faster the clear it up the less complications you'll have and probably get rid of it quicker. It's very contagious so keep her/him away from your other cats especially if they're not vaccinated!

but it can sure be cleared up and hopefully she/he can go back to normal!

good luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Herpes is not a big deal. I think URI = herpes. My cat was sick with it when we got her from the shelter. It wasn't too bad, but she sounded very congested. It's a good idea to run a humidifier/boil water/bring her in the bathroom when showering, as suggested.

My cat has had one flare up where her third eye swelled pretty badly. The vet gave her some ointment, but said it may have resolved on its own. Once in a while the eye still swells a bit, but it resolves on its own.

In addition to the Lysine, you could try Feliway to see if it reduces stress.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts