Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oldest cat is very moody, and will often lash out with claws and hissing towards me or my wife. He is often peeing outside the litter box, on the walls, in corners, in the laundry basket, etc. We've ruled out a UTI, but he did have one early this year. He is honestly getting to be too much to handle, and no one seems to know how to make him stop acting like this. I really need suggestions. I live in a rental property, so damage is something I need to avoid at all costs.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
You said he had a UTI earlier this but you've ruled that out for this time.... how did you rule it out?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ruled it out via the vet last month. She asked me about symptoms, I said no to all of them.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, he was on meds for at least two months. His symptoms went away. TBH, another 220 bucks to make sure he doesn't have a UTI is kind of not in my budget right now.

·
Super Moderator
26,360 Posts
Peeing outside the litter box - that has to be one of the major symptoms of a UTI, though, right?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Peeing outside the litter box - that has to be one of the major symptoms of a UTI, though, right?
Yeah, that's one of them, but he's not straining to pee or going to the litter box all the time like he did when he had it. The only thing the vet really told me is its a psychological thing. He associated the litter box with the pain from the UTI. I remember right around the time he got it, he started going right next to it, and it never really stopped, but his straining stopped maybe 6 weeks (maybe less) of being put on those meds.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It still sounds like he's in pain from something if he's lashing out.....
He's usually not lashing out, but at random I'll walk by and he bats at me with claws and I can't really get near him without him trying to swat at me, for a while. The peeing is what I am worried about.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
You could try putting him in a small room (bathroom) with the litterbox and try retraining him. Or a large cage to retrain him.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You could try putting him in a small room (bathroom) with the litterbox and try retraining him. Or a large cage to retrain him.
Do you think he needs training again? I mean he still uses it a good majority of the time, just at random he'll back into a corner and pee...he also stands in the litter box and pees up against the wall rather than squatting.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Do you think he needs training again? I mean he still uses it a good majority of the time, just at random he'll back into a corner and pee...he also stands in the litter box and pees up against the wall rather than squatting.
The peeing against the wall not squatting also worries me, We had a cat like that in the shelter and he had UTI. Poor baby seems something is hurting him, if not all the time sometimes. I think putting him in a bathroom or a big cage to get him retrained is a good idea.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The peeing against the wall not squatting also worries me, We had a cat like that in the shelter and he had UTI. Poor baby seems something is hurting him, if not all the time sometimes. I think putting him in a bathroom or a big cage to get him retrained is a good idea.
Possibly, but I don't have room for a big cage, and he will trash the bathroom... Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get him tested for a UTI again.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Do you have a litterbox with high sides? Sometimes Harli gets in the litterbox and backs up against the box & she used to go over the side of the box. So I got a litter boxes with higher sides and also taped a plastic placemat on the back of it. For a litterpan, some people use clear storage boxes with a cut out opening on the front.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.