Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have ten cats, ages 12 to nearly one year. The problem is with Hector, whom we have had (along with his 2 brothers) for nearly 3 years (he turned 3 yesterday, actually). Suddenly, about 3 weeks ago, he decided he wanted to live on top of the bookcase in the den. It's a very tall bookcase, he can't even stand up straight on top of it, but for a while there he wouldn 't come down at all except to potty (we presume, since he's not making a mess up there.) He's clearly not sick, btw. At first he would come down for supper ( not breakfast) and then he stopped doing that so I would take him a plate of food at dinner ( we raw-feed) . He's never been a big eater so I didn't worry too much about his nutrition/hydration. We figured he would get tired of it and come down on his own, probably much faster if I would quit feeding him up there, lol. Well, in the past few days he is coming down on his own, showing up for meals and trying to sort of ease back into the herd.

The problem: the other cats are acting like they've never seen him before and are chasing him aggressively, forcing him to retreat back to the bookcase. He seems to have lost his place in the hierarchy. He did have some issues before with one of the older cats and I think the older cat's behavior must've triggered the initial retreat, but it's worse now that he's trying to "come back" . He didn't help himself at all, isolating like that! My husband thinks we should pull him down off the bookcase and put him in the guest room but that sounds like same problem, different room to me. Hector is trying to re-integrate but the others aren't letting him. It breaks my heart to see him crouching on top of the bookcase. How can we help him?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Positive social interaction, like feeding Hector and his aggressor treats together might help. Lots of pets and praise for both for good behavior. Group play gets cats together in a feel-good way. Make the bully cat see that good things happen when Hector is around.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts