Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 15 year old cat is ill....she has very labored breathing. She has had 2 x-rays (about a week apart) and one round of antibiotics.

The doc said that she either has histoplasmosis or possibly cancer or some other lung disease.

We are giving her a month of the med for histoplasmosis to see if that helps her. I do not have the money for her to get a sonogram and to have fluid drained from her lungs to be tested. I read that the med she is on itranacazole???? can make them ill and not feel good also.

I just don't know if I am doing the right thing for my pet with the limited resources I have for her. I have already spent over $600 on her. I have no more money. It makes me feel horrible, but that's what has happened.

I feel so horrible and just want to cry all the time. She is so sweet and gets on my lap and is so loving.......

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited by Moderator)
Well, Cassidy is holding her own. After the last x-ray the doc said that it looks as though there is a mass in her chest somewhere, he said it looks like the trachea is actually a little crooked because of it pushing on the trachea. I need some ideas of what to feed her. She doesn't eat much at all, but will lick up the gravy in cat food that has alot of gravy in it.
Any ideas??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Loss..........

Gosh, I haven't been on here forever!!!
We had to put Cassidy put to sleep........we kept her around for awhile, just loving her and babying her alot. Her breathing got so labored that I couldn't take it anymore. She looked like she was really struggling to breathe. The next summer, one of our feral cats outside that I feed also got sick. Her breath was extremely labored. We took her to the vet E.R. and he said she was a very sick cat. Her lungs were really messed up and he didn't give her long to live at all. She had to be PTS also. Fall of 2012 I lost my mother...........strangely enough also because of lung cancer. I lost my father to lung cancer in 2003. I'm just realizing how odd this all seems now............
Best wishes and blessings to everyone..............

·
Registered
254 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss :( I can only imagine how frustrating and sad it was to see your baby suffer and not be able to make her better. She's in a better place now and I'm sure she lived a long and happy life with all your love.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I just saw this, and I have not been on these boards for that long, so I didn't know about your kitty before, but just wanted to say how sorry I am for the loss of your kitties, and your mother. That is so sad. My neighbor across the street from me recently battled lung cancer (never smoked) and I just hear about it more and more, sadly.

Again, sorry about all of the loss you have been through.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your kind words. But things just keep getting worse it seems. We had to put our 19 yr old down on the 3rd of July. She at one time weighed 10 lbs. That was her highest weight.......the last week of her life she was down to just a little over 5 lbs. She had intestinal tumors, and the vet suspected also a tumor in her sinuses. We took her in about 7 years ago.....she was a "friendly stray" that had a cyst on the pad of her front right foot. We had that removed, and then just ended up keeping her. She was such a character. She never let any of my cats bother her at all and she was the kind of cat that could just give my other cats a "look" and they would back off. No one ever bothered her because of that. She was the queen of the house.....especially after we lost Angel in February. We have lost 6 cats in about 2-1/2 years. Buddy from kidney failure, Baby Kitty just fell over dead in the hallway (we suspect a heart attack or something like that), Cassidy from the lung cancer, Angel just from old age, Thelma and Louise.......(Thelma was Louise's sister/or daughter--we really don't know. They looked almost exactly alike.) Thelma ALSO had lung problems. We have so many urns lined up in a cabinet.....all with their names on them. Feeling *sad* today.........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts